Preparations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Preparations

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:57 am

There is pretty much no use for it. Im still unsure why I would prepare it if it was free...

Here's and interesting idea for a prep: It has a negative gold cost, and a bad effect. Something like -1 hp per level up.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:00 am

I wasn't talking about early Beta Smuggler's den by the way, I was talking the e3 demo. It had different functionality there. The den had multiple "up" staircases and entrances and allowed you to travel to different parts of the map. I would LOVE that on that Naga city.

Lucket Packets is a terrible preparation because you can't control the "good" effects, for example, wasting the +50% exp boost because you're entirely blocked by level 1s, and to top it off it has a side effect that's just a little better than being mana burned or teleported to an unwinnable state.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 am

It's too much like a worse patches that replaces your gold piles.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 am

The entire church is going to be changing pretty drastically soon. FYI ;) We have this idea that we'd like to try out...
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes! Yeah, the four preparation buttons are kinda disappointing...

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Halion on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:30 pm

All the new church preps will focus on starting the game with extra piety/altars/boon effects, but fill dungeons with hordes of no-xp goats with annoying abilities.

And any time you typo altar as alter on the forums, the goats get stronger.

Any truth in this post is strictly coincidental. And awesome. Coincidentally awesome.
Halion

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Oh gosh, I'm screwed! ;)

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Darvin wrote:If you're really that strapped for cash even with black market, then you'd be sacrificing many of the items you're buying from apothecaries or other shops to afford the double-cost black market items. If you think it's really bad, then exclude artifacts from the list of items that can be sold. Other than artifacts, it's not like these are items that couldn't appear elsewhere.

The problem with making them cost more as a balancing factor is Translocation Seal. You could make them cost a 1,000,000 gold and it wouldn't really matter. It still helps, but it isn't a foolproof solution.

The other problem with the prep is that it encourages you to only use 2 slots of your Locker, so that you know exactly what you're going to find. Alternatively, preventing Artifacts and Conversion Stone from appearing would let you have more stuff in your locker and still prevent

Basically, I'm saying that the extra shop shouldn't just be added on to an existing prep that's already fairly good. It should replace a bad prep, like Lucky Packets or Extra Elite Items. The latter would make a lot of sense, since it's already a shop prep.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Extra Elites isn't bad, Apothocary is better. I'd rather replace quest items.

And I think he said you can't rob a black market/buy artifacts. Although the only one worth buying would be Dragon Sheild. The 100 cost for the ward and symbol would be off the charts. I think you could buy a conversion stone, but since you buy it out of your locker, you'd have to bring it back to replace it. Or go kill another bridge troll.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 pm

he entire church is going to be changing pretty drastically soon. FYI ;) We have this idea that we'd like to try out...

Glad to hear it. Scout Player is the only prep in there worth keeping, so feel free to scrap the rest.

The problem with making them cost more as a balancing factor is Translocation Seal. You could make them cost a 1,000,000 gold and it wouldn't really matter. It still helps, but it isn't a foolproof solution.

Translocation Seal doesn't work on shops where you can select one item from a list of choices ;-)

Extra Elites isn't bad, Apothocary is better. I'd rather replace quest items.

Agreed. Shop scroll isn't so great either now that we have extra shops from the upgraded Bezar.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons