Menus are fun again

All things Desktop Dungeons

Menus are fun again

Postby GoatBot on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Discussion - Menus are fun again
GoatBot

Re: Menus are fun again

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 am

Well, the updates were getting more unstable for me, but this one doesn't even get to the log-in screen without crashing.

Darn.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:30 am

Holy Work: Cannot Switch Religions, piety loss removes 2 max health instead

The amount of health lost is irrespective of the amount of piety loss. This means taking many small penalties (Tikki Tooki) would be game-ending, while taking a few major penalties (Glowing Guardian) isn't going to be too bad.

I think JJ and GG are the only viable deities for Paladin in this version. Every other deity smacks you with small infractions on a fairly regular basis, and this will quickly result in a paladin with too few HP to actually fight. With GG, the only serious infractions you need to worry about are clearing hallways of low-level monsters and drinking potions, which means you're probably looking at no more than 10 infractions. That's doable, but it's basically a disqualifier with everyone else.

Earthmother: Spawning fewer plants isn't going to fix the Earthmother. Even on wide spacious levels, I still don't use her because her boons aren't good enough.

Indulgence: Now blocks the next three piety losses. This includes boons, meaning you can request free boons so long as you have sufficient piety! I think that's a bug, but I'll take it.

New Interface: Pretty, but more difficult to read.
Darvin

Postby xspeedballx on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 am

I am getting fatal connection errors to unity trying to load the game :(
xspeedballx

Postby q 3 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 am

Interface nitpicks:

You... you swapped the positions of the HP and MP bars? You monsters. I just know that's going to kill me sooner or later.

Love the character names and monster portraits.

In general I do think the new menu is prettier, but it could stand to use a lot more contrast. The counters for piety, gold, etc. should probably be a different color combination than light gray on slightly darker gray. The bright tannish background, for empty item slots, monsters, altars, etc. feels quite a bit too bright. The red on green for gold cost in shops is surprisingly hard to read.

The white flame animation on the MP bar upon using a glyph is a little distracting.

~

Balance:

The Paladin's new weakness is going to make him even more dependent on GG, I think. Taurog, Tikki Tooki, and Dracul in particular are now going to be fairly terrible deities for them because they hand out a steady stream of penalties; GG you generally don't get in trouble from until the endgame when you start quaffing potions, and he relies more on occasional big piety losses anyway.

Blood Hunger feels much too expensive now, especially with how big a hit you take to resistances (yes, it's relatively less of a hit at higher levels, but it's a huge loss at lower levels and that first level of lifesteal is now a significant investment, whereas previously most classes could take the boon once without losing much if anything). I'm having a hard time seeing non-vmapires getting much use out of the boon anymore.

Binlor's new Stone Form is probably more useful overall, although it is a noticeable nerf in one situation - previously you'd retain the buff as long as you had stoneskin, which meant that if you had first strike (or a level advantage) picked off a monster in one hit you would keep the damage boost for the next hit. Might, on the other hand, wears off after one attack regardless of whether you get hit or not. The new buff is still a whole lot better than the old buff, but isn't universally better. The magic resist boosts are interesting, at least.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:50 am

Apparently transmutation scroll doesn't work on items in your inventory anymore. I tried it on glyphs, items, and a boss trophy, wouldn't work on any...
Darvin

Postby harfatum on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 am

I am also getting a crash before login, on Chrome. Seems to work in Firefox.
Last edited by harfatum on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby fall_ark on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 am

harfatum wrote:I am also getting a crash before login.

Yeah, same.

Crash info:
System:
CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, count: 2
Physical RAM: 1996 MB
Addressable RAM: 2048 MB

D3D9:
Renderer: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
VendorID: 8086
Driver: igdumdx32.dll 8.15.10.2202
VRAM: 64 (via DXGI)

OpenGL:
Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2202
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Driver: RDPDD, version 4456530.4456528.68.25565704
VRAM: 64 (via DXGI)
Extensions: GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_NV_blend_square GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_NV_conditional_render GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_ARB_vertex_array_object

User locale: zh-TW
System locale: zh-TW
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:11 am

Darvin wrote:
Earthmother: Spawning fewer plants isn't going to fix the Earthmother. Even on wide spacious levels, I still don't use her because her boons aren't good enough.

Might I say that Corrosion and Vine form are only good for early games yet still have diminishing returns is one of the problems with Earthmother?
Map-wide slow for a mere 5 piety is always amazing though.

Darvin wrote:
Indulgence: Now blocks the next three piety losses. This includes boons, meaning you can request free boons so long as you have sufficient piety! I think that's a bug, but I'll take it.

Quick! Before the devs fix it!
fall_ark

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 am

You can only get Indulgence now by kicking over an altar because the church preps are changed right?
TigerKnee

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons