[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Menus are fun again

Menus are fun again

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Menus are fun again

Postby GG Crono on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:15 pm

So I got a crash. I was doing a Shifting Passages run (it was a really good run, too :(), and the crash occured about midway through, right after I clicked on my IMAWAL glyph. It wasn't the first time I had done so, either. I was worshiping Earthmother at the time.

http://i.imgur.com/Ce20E.jpg
GG Crono

Postby Gorgon on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Gorgon

Postby dislekcia on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Silent update incoming. Fixes the crash above and ups contrast plus a bunch of niggles we were too tired to get to.
dislekcia

Postby Kinsman on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Finally compelled to register having been playing since alpha and the start of the beta. So hello.

Firstly, had tons of fun with the game so thanks for that, its coming along very well, mostly. However, I have a few issues with this update, firstly I'm struggling to see the point of ever playing the Paladin, I mean 25% physical resist and a helpmah glyph, isn't horrible, but its not exactly amazing since even more magical attack creatures are in AND there are now resist reducing creatures in quite a lot of dungeons. On top of that is the increase in mana cost of helpmah. The lack of switching deities and no piety loss was an interesting thing however, as it let the paladin use unique approches, perhaps some were too powerful, I don't know I'm not that good at the game to find great exploitative tactics much. Anyway, the replacement for that means he has two average bonuses and one pretty huge drawback, no god switching AND health loss? Why bother? I know I won't.

Secondly, the new interface is horrible, it breaks several golden rules of interface design, not least by reordering the mana and health bars and moving lots of others things to different places, the backgrounds make text *very* hard to read and quite jarringly ugly as a result and worst of all the monster health bar is barely readable for me, I literally can't tell without looking very hard how many hits I need to kill a monster etc. All this information *needs* to be very clear as its of paramount importance to the game, whilst the UI is very pretty (in some ways, I find the inventory part to be very messy and visually cluttered), its pure form over function in its new state and in a game which relise so much on detailed information to be clearly visible, it fails miserably.

Sorry for the negatives.
Kinsman

Postby Zaratustra on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I do agree that the dials have to be a bit darker to contrast better with the numbers. And that the Paladin sucks now.
Zaratustra

Postby Invain on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:25 pm

The menu is really nice, but needs some tweaking. HP/MP bars switch was pointless. Conversion points are barely readable. Gold/piety/conversion/attack counters would be a lot better with brighter numbers and a darker background. Inventory is too bright and stands out too much, especially in the beginning when most of the tiles are still black - I think a black or dark brown background and white letters would be more consistent with rest of the screen. And as much as I like 'glue item here', it only makes the screen look more cluttered.
Invain

Postby Picotrain on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Not that I have any right to complain since I have not pre-ordered, but wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the more vital bar (the one which actually can kill you if depleted) on top and have the mana bar on bottom?
Picotrain

Postby Sythion on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:02 pm

No crashes or performance issues yet! I'm finally hopeful I can beat a vicious dungeon!

I agree with readability issues, however I definitely like the aesthetics of the new layout a lot!

item portion looks wonderful, but I think the monster's HP section and the attack/conversion/piety numbers need to be redone.
Sythion

Postby Pax on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi,

this is my first post, that is why first of all I have to say, you guys are doing a great job! I really like your game!

Actually I am open for new and fresh ideas, however I am not really glad with the new UI. The old one, was not so shiny and stylish, but it gave me quick the information, which I wanted to know.
In the former UI it showed you very quick, how much turns you can attack each other until you die/kill the enemy.

I am sorry about the effort you guys did put into it, however I would really like to switch it back to the more simplistic UI.

Keep up the good work!
Pax

Postby Pax on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:43 pm

-
By mistake I made a double post, sorry
Last edited by Pax on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pax

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons