[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Menus are fun again

Menus are fun again

All things Desktop Dungeons

Menus are fun again

Postby GoatBot on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Discussion - Menus are fun again
GoatBot

Re: Menus are fun again

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 am

Well, the updates were getting more unstable for me, but this one doesn't even get to the log-in screen without crashing.

Darn.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:30 am

Holy Work: Cannot Switch Religions, piety loss removes 2 max health instead

The amount of health lost is irrespective of the amount of piety loss. This means taking many small penalties (Tikki Tooki) would be game-ending, while taking a few major penalties (Glowing Guardian) isn't going to be too bad.

I think JJ and GG are the only viable deities for Paladin in this version. Every other deity smacks you with small infractions on a fairly regular basis, and this will quickly result in a paladin with too few HP to actually fight. With GG, the only serious infractions you need to worry about are clearing hallways of low-level monsters and drinking potions, which means you're probably looking at no more than 10 infractions. That's doable, but it's basically a disqualifier with everyone else.

Earthmother: Spawning fewer plants isn't going to fix the Earthmother. Even on wide spacious levels, I still don't use her because her boons aren't good enough.

Indulgence: Now blocks the next three piety losses. This includes boons, meaning you can request free boons so long as you have sufficient piety! I think that's a bug, but I'll take it.

New Interface: Pretty, but more difficult to read.
Darvin

Postby xspeedballx on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 am

I am getting fatal connection errors to unity trying to load the game :(
xspeedballx

Postby q 3 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 am

Interface nitpicks:

You... you swapped the positions of the HP and MP bars? You monsters. I just know that's going to kill me sooner or later.

Love the character names and monster portraits.

In general I do think the new menu is prettier, but it could stand to use a lot more contrast. The counters for piety, gold, etc. should probably be a different color combination than light gray on slightly darker gray. The bright tannish background, for empty item slots, monsters, altars, etc. feels quite a bit too bright. The red on green for gold cost in shops is surprisingly hard to read.

The white flame animation on the MP bar upon using a glyph is a little distracting.

~

Balance:

The Paladin's new weakness is going to make him even more dependent on GG, I think. Taurog, Tikki Tooki, and Dracul in particular are now going to be fairly terrible deities for them because they hand out a steady stream of penalties; GG you generally don't get in trouble from until the endgame when you start quaffing potions, and he relies more on occasional big piety losses anyway.

Blood Hunger feels much too expensive now, especially with how big a hit you take to resistances (yes, it's relatively less of a hit at higher levels, but it's a huge loss at lower levels and that first level of lifesteal is now a significant investment, whereas previously most classes could take the boon once without losing much if anything). I'm having a hard time seeing non-vmapires getting much use out of the boon anymore.

Binlor's new Stone Form is probably more useful overall, although it is a noticeable nerf in one situation - previously you'd retain the buff as long as you had stoneskin, which meant that if you had first strike (or a level advantage) picked off a monster in one hit you would keep the damage boost for the next hit. Might, on the other hand, wears off after one attack regardless of whether you get hit or not. The new buff is still a whole lot better than the old buff, but isn't universally better. The magic resist boosts are interesting, at least.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:50 am

Apparently transmutation scroll doesn't work on items in your inventory anymore. I tried it on glyphs, items, and a boss trophy, wouldn't work on any...
Darvin

Postby harfatum on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 am

I am also getting a crash before login, on Chrome. Seems to work in Firefox.
Last edited by harfatum on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby fall_ark on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 am

fall_ark

Postby fall_ark on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:11 am

fall_ark

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 am

You can only get Indulgence now by kicking over an altar because the church preps are changed right?
TigerKnee

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons