[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Thoughts on Mystera

Thoughts on Mystera

All things Desktop Dungeons

Thoughts on Mystera

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 am

In her current incarnation, Mystera has returned to be a god for pure fire-ballers. Mana and Mana Leak both cripple your ability to deal physical type damage (including PISORF), while flames cripples your regular attack. The result is a character whose only relevant means of dealing damage is BURNDAYRAZ. Her weakening boon is only useful for these kinds of characters, and is basically an inferior and overpriced version of Binlor's Stone Heart. For characters who are not specialized with the BURNDAYRAZ glyph, her only remotely usable boon is refreshment. Since this effect does not carry over on conversion, she is largely useless to anyone but a pure BURNDAYRAZ caster.

While this new Mystera is certainly strong, she is ridiculously overspecialized to the point at which only Assassins and Wizards need apply to her religion as anything other than a piety farm. A long-standing issue is that she is ridiculously dependent on BLUDTUPOWA both to gain piety and to perform effectively. I respect her double-edged nature, but she needs to be applicable to a wider range of characters and approaches rather than a BURNDAYRAZ/BLUDTUPOWA combo.

As always, I have crazy suggestions of my own:

Mana Leak: All spells cost -1 MP to cast, but you take 1 point of damage per character level when you cast them. This would complicate a BLUDTUPOWA based regen game, and it would keep the low-cost spells (PISORF and HALPMEH in particular) under control.

Magic: Gain +1 max mana, but you are exhausted when below 15% health. Every time you select this boon, the exhaustion threshold rises by 15% (maximum 100%).

Flames: -50% attack bonus, fireballs deal +1 damage per level, gain a x3 burning attack. This means you deal 3 points of damage for each point of burning on the target (still only add one point of burning per attack).

Weakening: the BURNDAYRAZ glyph lowers enemies physical resists by 10% per hit but lowers your physical resists by 1%, your physical attack lowers enemies magic resist by 10% per hit but lowers your magic resist by 1%.
Darvin

Re: Thoughts on Mystera

Postby fall_ark on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:07 am

Agreed on MA being a one-dimensional god, especially since the current Mana Leak turns you into a 1 damage (most likely 0 if Flames is also selected) joke -- I mean, you are already super weak at physical damage, it just feels like overkill.

As for the specific boons....I think the Mana Leak one is pretty OK. Personally I don't like Exhaustion, but it could work (might be a it overcomplicated with the threshold though). x3 burning is....um, I don't think saying it OP is enough....Honestly, a straight "2 burning per fireball" might be better.
No opinion on the Weakening one. Could be too strong. Could cause problems for trick bosses. Could work.
fall_ark

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Weakening would wreck bosses. Just pre-cast 5 fireballs, and non-magic damage dealers with physical resist (like the avatar or itsssama) are screwed.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm

I really, really like that idea for Weakening. It should probably be 5% though, instead of 10%.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:15 pm

I think magic attacks should reduce your and his physical, the opposite of what you suggested.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Oh. I meant the other way. So you can't pre-destroy his resists.

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:14 pm

I suppose, it's just that taking out resists kills bosses. Easily. If it had some sort of bigger penalty it would be better. I mean with a Warlord, destroying resists is HUGE.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons