[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - New-ish player, help with a few questions please

New-ish player, help with a few questions please

All things Desktop Dungeons

New-ish player, help with a few questions please

Postby Sceneman on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new player and I'm really enjoying the game. I think I picked up the game OK, but as I am advancing I am starting to have a little trouble.

I have a couple of questions.....

What are a few good race and class combinations? I've done around 20-30 runs and have unlocked some HARD dungeons and a good number of classes. I've done a lot of experimenting but haven't really found a good combination yet... What would you recommend for an intermediate player like myself?

How do you find more gods? I've had only Tikki Tooki for awhile now, and I'd like some more! Who is a good one to look out for?

Who is better between Humans and Orcs? I am unsure as to what "1 stacking base damage" means, can someone explain this?

Finally, has anyone else noticed there are no female heroes in this game? (at least that I've seen so far ;) )

Any clarification and advice will be much appreciated.

And I'm looking forward to spending some time on this board! This game seems to have a very good community.

thanks
Sceneman
Sceneman

Re: New-ish player, help with a few questions please

Postby dislekcia on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Class combos come down to racial conversions that will benefit the class you're playing. Some of the obvious combos include elf spellcasters for the extra mana, orc rogues for the damage increases they get later, dwarf/human fighters and halfling priests for super effective health potions.

You find more gods in sub-dungeons. Different gods come from different areas of the game, there's also an unlocking hierarchy, but mostly you just want to be looking for gods in sub-dungeons :)

Female heros are something we're working on. We just don't have art for them all yet as they're only a cosmetic change.
dislekcia

Postby Sythion on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Orcs are almost always better than humans. The only exception to this is if you are planning on getting lots of items that increase base attack damage, in which case humans are better. This might mean fine sword + taurog's blade + regular sword. The stacking base damage means that the first bonus gives you 1, the second gives you 2 more, third gives you 3 more, etc. (I believe)
Sythion

Postby Darvin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Darvin

Postby Halion on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Halion

Postby gjaustin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Everyone else has covered the core race/class combinations, but there's also some that are enabled by the Mage Tower preparations. To clarify, there are three of them that convert one type of boost into another: Health to % Attack, % Attack to Mana, and Mana to Health.

Taking advantage of these allows you to take a different type of bonus, but still get a some synergy out of the class bonuses. Some examples are below:

Health to Attack: Orc "Undead Slayer" Priest

% Attack to Mana: Human "Burning Strike" Wizard (Use with Whurgarbl)

Mana to Health: Orc "Tank" Bloodmage
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Each god, with the exception of Pactmaker, is associated with a region.

Taurog and Binlor can be found to the west (Western Jungle, Havendale Bridge, Labyrinth, and Magma Mines).

Tikki Tooki and Earthmother show up to the south (Southern Ruins, Slime Pit, Hexx Ruins, Ick Swamp).

Glowing Guardian and Dracul are to the east (Eastern Tundra, Halls of Steel, and Berserker Camp, but not Creeplight Ruins, because the special subdungeon slot in that place is already occupied by something else).

Mystera and Jehora Jeru (sp?) are to the north (Northern Desert, Rock Gardens, Shifting Passages).

Pactmaker can appear in any dungeon, even the basic starter dungeons (eg Venture and the like), but you have to find him three (maybe four?) times before he permanently joins the pantheon.

Some gods are only be found when certain other gods have been unlocked:
Binlor needs Taurog
Earthmother needs Tikki Tooki
Dracul needs Glowing Guardian
JJ needs Mystera
Pactmaker will not make his final appearance until all 8 other gods are unlocked

There is no trick to finding the gods other than to search in the correct regions. Their special subdungeons will spawn randomly. If you miss one, it's no big deal. The subdungeon will continue to spawn randomly until you complete it. If you must find a particular god right away, you can try quickly exploring maps and restarting if you don't find what you wanted. Having the tinker makes this much faster, but unlocking the tinker is probably harder than finding the gods.

For a beginner, Taurog is the most accessible. He's not a <i>great</i> deity, but he's straightforward and easy to understand. JJ is also fairly easygoing and has a set of boons that are useful to all classes. Glowing Guardian is confounding at first because he punishes you for noobish behavior, but you quickly realize that his 'restrictions' mostly consist of optimal play (i.e. try to always fight monster above your level, and don't touch your potions until near the end). He makes for a good training wheel.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 am

Unfortunately, I believe someone said JJ's (Jehora Jeheyu for those wondering about spelling) subdungeon isn't working. You can walk up and worship the altar, but it doesn't initiate his challenge and unlock sequence.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sceneman on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 pm

wow, thanks for the detailed responses everyone!

Gonna take all this advice on board and step up my DD game.

Also, cant wait for the iOS version!
Sceneman

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons