[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Please remove "play desktop dungeons" link from play screen

Please remove "play desktop dungeons" link from play screen

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Please remove "play desktop dungeons" link from play scr

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

gjaustin

Postby xspeedballx on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:56 pm

I have accepted that I am a minority on this, but I like that the game begs me to be careful, precise and thoughtful at all times no matter how long the run is. I feel death warning takes some of that out. Not all, but some. I have never cursed the interface on a misclick death in a vicious dungeon. I have cursed myself for losing focus.

I know I dropped snark about using touchpads. I get that is the preferred method of laptop use for many. I also understand that the touchpad is evil and likes to click or move the mouse cursor at the last second sometimes.

That all said, if the decision to put a suicide prevention is put in, don't make it an option make it a part of the game. If it is optional then by gjaustin's own statement the game is less smooth and slower without it. If you try and act smoothly and fast you will die. So harder. So if it is optional a badge should be put in even if it isn't worth gold to reflect that you played in this harder fashion.

Once again, the better option is to either not have the prevention at all or always have the prevention as a quality of life for alternate control schemes. To be perfectly honest if this ever makes it to iphone/ipad it will be all but necessary because much like fat fingering touchpad, fat fingering your iphone is a reality.

@q 3 You hyperbole felt aggressive to me. I apologize if I antagonized.
xspeedballx

Postby harfatum on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't even know how many times I've typedvwordsvlikevthis on my Android phone. Even deliberate clicks on larger spots than a tile of DD will miss sometimes. I definitely agree that on touchscreens - especially capacitive - misclicks will be a horror.
Last edited by harfatum on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I'd be fine if there were a Badge for never triggering the warning.

And it still wouldn't protect you from:

1) Wasting a Death Protection on a level 1 Gorgon
2) Getting mana burned by misclicking on a plant
3) Losing 15% resists to a Bandit

And so on.
gjaustin

Postby Fran on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Fran

Postby xspeedballx on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:48 pm

All three of the things listed by gjaustin are just as potentially game ending on anything above normal as misclicking a high level mob. Just not immediately so. Disclaimer: This is not a slippery slope argument despite all appearances just an observation.

Listen I am saying if the consensus believes this should be in then it probably should be. However don't make it an option. Just make it the rule then. Very very rarely will you find someone who wants to make a game harder for no greater reward(feeling superior is rarely a justifiable reward). If that option existed in the game I would never turn it off, there is no reason to, I don't need to feel superior at my desk. I proposed the idea of a badge so that people who did post victory screenshots could feel superior across the internets(as people love to do).

However, honestly I don't really think that is the best choice either. So I will refine my thought down to one:

Either do it, or don't, don't make it an option.
xspeedballx

Postby Sythion on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Death protection sounds like an interesting, timely thing to implement.

Removing a link requires hitting the backspace button five times. Clicking with your mouse. Hitting the backspace button six times.

Done.
Sythion

Postby Lujo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Im not sure if anyone suggested it but how about... A button in the menu under options that you can click and then it turns suicide warnings on and off?

Then, like, we can all get what we want, dudes?

(Also, if noone suggested this already then we are indeed a strange community :D )
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:47 pm

gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Alternatively: the first click on a monster selects it, but does not attack. Once selected, you are free to mouse over the monster's profile to see tooltips about its stats and abilities. Clicking elsewhere deselects the monster, clicking it again attacks (subsequent attacks each only require a single click, so long as the monster is selected). That should obviate the suicide problem and provide new (and old) players with an easy way to access much-needed information.
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons