Unlocking Stuff 2

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Unlocking Stuff 2

Postby Murdus on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Fun fact: BOTH bosses now deal magic damage.

Which is why I had a surprisingly easy time beating Vicious Halls of Steel with an Orc Berserker worshipping GG, converting out to JJ (no boons taken)

Had one more victory with a Halfling Priest (Trisword prep, apothecary), and I had the luck of running into a Scroll (The one that gives you +10 max hp per potion quaffed), a Troll Heart, a Viper Ward, and a Soul Orb. I started worshipping Binlor, destroyed ALL the walls, turning them into precious magic resist (39% in total), quaffing all my mana potions for +8 base damage, before converting out to Taurog, picking up the Alchemist's Pact from Pactmaker.

Fun fact: Burn salves COUNT towards the scroll, they give the +10 hp.

At level 6, I smacked Count BlahBlah around with the helmet, totaling 54% magic resist, and double damage to Undead. I forgot to use Whupaz, but still went down with only two healing potions used out of the 11.

I then slapped the Indominable around, before leveling up on popcorn, then proceeded to win the dungeon at level 8, with 1 healing potion, and a layer of death protection left.

NOTE: This was my first run as a priest in VHoS. No scumming, just used what I had.
Murdus

Postby gjaustin on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Very nice!

When I saw that Indomitable was now Magic Damage, I had high hopes that there was now a non-BLUDPOWA strategy to beat Vicious Halls of Steel.

I assume you prepped the knockback mace for both of them?
gjaustin

Postby Murdus on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 pm

First run: No. I used Pisorf. Second run: No. Stone Fist, but I really couldnt take advantage of it. Only 2 walls were broken. The idea was to just be able to take it like a man. (The Indominable has pretty low damage compared to the animated armors, and even that was cut in half.)
Murdus

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Dang, they changed that scroll to +10?! Prep extra potions to help level up, and extra hp.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lagmalix on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Elf Sorc/Wizard, prep apothecary+crystal ball. Abuse burning, life reg and schadenfreude potions. This bulid needs zero scumming and yet is highly effective for almost any vicious dungeon, mby except the Dragons where you will need to use the teleport trick. Altars to look for are obviously JJ and Mystra - magic immunity on bosses isn't really a problem as you will have enough mana resources+Whupaz to kill them anyway.
Lagmalix

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:14 pm

4 mana BURNDAYRAZ elf wizards with 4 or so Schadenfreude potions rule!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm

I just tried the priest and it works great! I even decided to junk scumming by prepping Binlor, although I only got 8 stone hearts because of it. No pactmaker, although I did convert out to Taurog for magic res. Prepped alchemist scroll, no try-sword bought. I found a troll heart at level 8, but didn't buy it (for obvious reasons). Won on my first try.

I'm gonna use this start to get yet another win on Namtar. Man, VHoS ties first for most Vicious wins. Ironically, my other was Naga City, so I have the most wins on the most obnoxious dungeons. 5 on both to be exact.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am

I just used an alchemist scroll on a rogue, and JJ boost health to gain 235 hp. Beat all 4 Vicious directionals. In fact, I didn't even scum. Just prep scroll and JJ. Use whatever you find to further your strength and hp, and that's about it. I never got a troll heart or a tri-sword (Tri-sword + scroll = destruction), although I got a fire heart for my Naga city run.

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 am

Avatar, I just stole your strategy and used it to get Feeling Parched on Namtar with an Orc Berserker. I prepped the Knockback Mace, Binlor, and Sensation Stone. I took 5 levels of the resistance reduction boon, as well as Stone Form and Stone First.

Anyone beaten Demonic Library or Naga City yet with the Berserker? I know I've beaten just about everything else with him.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:35 am

Never tried. Naga city will be hard, because you need magic.

Actually, my JJ rogue got Tormented One and Tower of Goo in one wave, so I chaos avatared and beat them to death. You'd need to be as lucky as my rogue.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons