Preparations Should Be Free

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Preparations Should Be Free

Postby fall_ark on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 am

Kuranes wrote:Also, since locker space is limited some items (such as in my case the Argonistic Collar or Troll Heart) won't get used since I need that space for other things. Having the extra space would make it more like I consider using some items I don't consider "stock". So I think having a wider variety of items to choose from would be great all in all, as long as you can still only pick one from your Locker.

This. Limited locker space and expensive preparations means less incentive to try out new things. Purists are one thing, but part of the beauty of the whole preparation thing is that you can try to find out interesting combination and combos, or simply try out silly things. With preparations being costly and locker space limited, the player stands to lose with unoptimal runs, circumventing the variety of approaches.

Say I want to try a Dwarf Bloodmage + Draco's Heart + MANA to HP preparation run. I'm not willing to first scum for a Draco's Heart subdungeon, then replace one valuable locker space with it, then spent gold on preparations to see if it's a viable approach, then come back and scum for the original locker item because it's not really that powerful. Then I ditched the Draco's heart even though its only use is as a locker item.

You can only carry one locker item anyway. Limiting the locker space is the worst thing you can do with it.
fall_ark

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 am

Draco's Heart isn't lockerable.

Only real solution to locker space currently is to maintain multiple accounts with different lockers.
Darvin

Postby fall_ark on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 am

Darvin wrote:Draco's Heart isn't lockerable.

Only real solution to locker space currently is to maintain multiple accounts with different lockers.

What the hell? It's a slightly better Troll Heart which you can only use after killing a lvl 9(or 10?) dragon, and it's not lockerable? ಠ_ಠ
fall_ark

Postby Lagmalix on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:17 pm

So am I the only one here who keeps losing his entire bankroll randomly after log in?
Lagmalix

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Yeah, I think so...

I think once you beat Horratio it should half prep costs.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby zeemeerman2 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 pm

The Avatar wrote:Yeah, I think so...

I think once you beat Horratio it should half prep costs.

Even while doing silly in my previous post, just this doesn't fix anything. Gold, or currency, has to have an economy. You need to be able to gain gold quickly (by doing dungeonsand quests), and spend gold relatively quickly.
Of course, you can save the gold for later uses, to spend it at more expensive items.

That said, without another gold sink, just half prep cost there isn't much you can do with your gold. Making items cheaper, it makes things worse.

So, basically the problem comes down to this:
- You gain gold by doing dungeons.
- You spend gold on items.
- Problem 1: If you are a great player, you often have thousands of gold you can't do anything with.
- Problem 2: If you are a bad player, you end up with no gold for preparations and have to grind endlessly for a chance to take on greater dungeons.

By cut the cost in half, your remove problem 2, while making Problem 1 slightly bigger (since it doesn't only apply to great players, but also to normal-good players.)
zeemeerman2

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:06 pm

I was already assuming there will be a gold sink added, fixing problem 1. And since my suggestion fixes problem 2 that leaves both fixed, right?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby hallr on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:49 pm

How about a way to slowly reduce prep-costs over time? For instance they could be reduced by 1 gold per medal you have collected. That way the medals will give a permanent reward, and the prep-costs become less annoying.

I love this game, and I have played it a lot, but I have to agree with the original poster - right now the prep-costs are bad design. I spend about 300 gold each run, and make about 1000 when I grind the flaming dungeon. That means every third or fourth game has to be a grind, which I find boring (at least now that I only have the vicious dungeons left).
hallr

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:29 pm

It's a good mechanic at the beginning of the game, but after that it's annoying as heck. I think once you beat the game, you subtract 5 or 10 from the cost of every preparation.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Kinsman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 pm

You don't need to kill Draco, there are at least two ways to get past him and escape =)
Kinsman

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons