[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Bloodmages

Bloodmages

All things Desktop Dungeons

Bloodmages

Postby Abraxas on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am

It would seem like the bloodmage is a class that never really gets a lot of attention here. It had its moment on the spotlight after its buff a few updates ago, but fell back into obscurity with the power-hungry change.

I'm making this topic because the old bloodmage used to be my favorite class, both in terms of flavor and how fun it was to play. BLUDTOPOWA is a very interesting glyph to start a dungeon run with, and the old power-hungry (I'm not completely sure that was the name of the ability back then), particularly when coupled with sanguine, offered a very peculiar approach to resources, which I enjoyed quite a lot.

The short-lived buff he got felt unnecessary and out of place. He certainly did end up being overpowered after that, but I don't get why he couldn't go back to something more like his old version than what we have now.

If forum posts are any indication, people aren't really using the bloodmage a whole lot, or at the very least the new power-hungry isn't being given any attention at all. Even I who used to love the bloodmage find myself rarely using him now. I tried to work out some strategies around the new power-hungry, but in the end the bonus it gives feels too inconsequential, specially when you consider that mana potions are usually conserved for late into the dungeon run, and that you can get the equivalent of several mana potions' worth of sanguine buff from a single Dracul boon.
Plus, what bothers me the most, is that it really hurts the class flavor. The blood part is there certainly, but right now it barely feels like a mage, only having BLUDTOPOWA in that regard, which any class can get with some luck.

I suppose my point here is, I really liked the old Bloodmage, and I really don't like the new one. What do you guys think? Was there something wrong with the old one? Is the new one fun/interesting?
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Re: Bloodmages

Postby Gorgon on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:38 am

Well, I've seen many people talking about his BLUDTUPOWA + Fireball combo. And now that old dwarves are back, I'll give Sanguine a try. Dracul + Dwarf + Bloodmage is probably a nice combo...
Gorgon

Postby Abraxas on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 am

I haven't really tested it after burning got nerfed to a 2*level cap, but BLUDTOPUWA + BURNDAYRAZ should still be one heck of a combo, even more so if you combine it with something like the Crystal Ball. But still, that's a combo that is available to anyone who is lucky/is willing to scum for the glyph.

Dwarf Dracul Bloodmages could certainly be interesting, but it's a pretty niche scenario, and blood-hunger could still be easily overshadowed by Dracul's Blood Tithe.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Sythion on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:10 am

I've had my best luck running orc bloodmages lately. Early game level vaulting + late game staying power ftw.
Sythion

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:45 am

Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:55 am

Yup, Bloodmage needed LESS dependency on pools, not more. That was just about the only pet peeve but they rehauled him anyway and not for the better.

Meanwhile the Fighter... nah, not going there.
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 am

Fighter actually isn't half-bad now. He's basically all about setting up one big XP catapult to smack-down the boss. On hard-difficulty levels, he can easily set up 3-4 mid-battle level-ups against the boss. Still not a top-tier class by any means, but keeps good company with classes like the Crusader or Priest.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:54 pm

I dunno, priests can beat all vicious dungeons, you're undervaluing him.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:05 pm

And the alchemist scroll is +10 hp. That scroll and a tri-sword is incredible. And you don't even need the tri-sword.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons