Rate Those Boons!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Rate Those Boons!

Postby Darvin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Warrior's Pact is useful if you find Pactmaker late and it's no longer feasible to build up appreciable results with Body Pact. It's expensive, but if you need to push your HP over the edge it's a life-saver. It works very well with Taurog, Dracul, and Tikki Tooki which all generate sufficient piety as you clean up your popcorn to fuel this pact.

For flames, I want to be clear that it does work for pure fireball characters and that bottom tier is not necessarily useless, but a -50% attack bonus penalty is nasty. Presuming you have normal base attack (5 per level) with no other boosts, this is -2.5 attack damage per level for +1 fireball damage per level. Put bluntly, you need to make three fireball attacks for everyone one physical attack for this to pay off. Definitely doable, but I find it's largely only worthwhile for Assassins and Wizards or against bosses like Bleaty that you just can't touch anyways.

As I mentioned I'm not rating Mystic Balance because it was introduced in the last update and is blatantly broken. It's top-tier material and everyone here knows it, but it's going to be gone or at very least reworked next version.
Darvin

Postby Sythion on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Understand Flames is only situationally good, but so is almost every boon. Flames is not much of a trade-off if you wait until a boss fight to use it, and have expended all attacks already.
Sythion

Postby Darvin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:58 pm

That was true of Alpha Mystera as well (who gave more than sufficient starting piety to pick up one of her wickedly powerful boons), but people have no problems trashing her. It's still bottom tier; some very narrow characters can come out ahead in some circumstances, but there are still better boon options at better price points that are applicable to more characters. It's bottom tier in my view, though I can see where you're coming from putting it in "low".
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:10 pm

For a not full fireball strat it's one of those use all fighting resources, then use it for a little extra damage. I don't know why, but I've never really used body pact. Although it could be incredible with a JJ halfling alchemist scroll priest.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Body Pact is pretty much incredible with anything.

Well, not a Vampire.
gjaustin

Postby Sythion on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:37 am

Body pact feels like Warriors pact, but less useful and less frequently firing and more easily countered.

It fills the exact same roll as Warriors pact, kind of like how humans and orcs are the same race, but one is just better than the other.
Sythion

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:15 am

I suppose warrior can be better, as one bandit swipe can crush -60 piety :(
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 am

Biggest issue I have is that Body Pact can consume a lot of piety if you begin early, and later on it won't trigger on a popcorn kill (while warrior's pact will) so it has some practicality issues. Aside from fighting resist-down foes, Body Pact is strictly superior, but Warrior's Pact is more controllable.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 am

Yeah, Body Pact takes some careful planning to maximize. You frequently need to hit random monsters while exploring to make sure you get your boost from them.

It also flips things around a bit, in that Goblins suddenly become the best popcorn enemies to leave around.
gjaustin

Postby booooooze on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Poison is top tier, imo. But that may be influenced by trying to get every class on Naga City.

Step 1: get poison
Step 2: take consensus and get off TT
Step 3: mop the floor with a naga tail.

Not even sure about Naga City being Vicious, frankly.
booooooze

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons