[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Your favorite races?

Your favorite races?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Your favorite races?

Postby Gorgon on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:09 pm

I think there was a topic like this a long time ago, but since all classes have changed enormously in recent updates, I decided to post another one.

Here's my list:
-Halfling
-Goblin
-Gnome
-Dwarf
-Elf
-Orc
-Human

I love playing with Halflings and Gnomes, but the recent gnome nerf made elves better than gnomes... Not that I don't enjoy playing with them anymore, though.

I like playing with goblins, too. their gameplay is so different that it makes you think before converting, which doesn't happen with other classes.
Gorgon

Re: Your favorite races?

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Elf (Done way to many Mystic balance Demonic Library fireball runs...)
Dwarf (Fun to experiment with them and blood tithe)
Halfling (Priests with alchemist scroll FTW!)
Human (Good staple)
Orc (Okay staple, but better than humans if you prep sensation stone)
Gnome (Okay, don't use them much)
Goblin (There interesting, but I don't know where to rank them as I haven't played one in ages)
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Currently?

Elf
Human
Orc
Goblin
Dwarf
Gnome
Halfling

Never been a fan of the potion races
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Keeping in mind that this is a list of favorites, which is different from a list of the most powerful:

(in no particular order)
Human: While not terribly interesting, they are generically useful and my go-to race when I'm not sure what I want to do exactly
Elf: Having 20+ mana is just fun
Halfling: Nice synergies with Priest and Thief, and lets you get the most out of the Trisword

Not so favorite:
Gnomes: Mana potions are harder to leverage when you have a low mana pool. Yeah, I know that gnomes following JJ can get the best of both worlds, but you can't rely on finding a timely JJ altar.
Orcs: They outperform humans when tightly focused on maximizing conversion points, but I never have as much fun
Sidestepper

Postby Ara on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Top tier: Elf, Human.
Mid tier: Dwarf, Goblin, Orc.
Low tier: Halfling, Gnome.

I don't see how a gnome could be interesting as of late. I always use an elf if I want a caster: crystal ball + 4 shadenfreude favor them by a long shot.

At least I still use Halflings on a blue moon when I try to get some weird medals with a priest. Anyway, the current implementation of the Trisword favors human.
Ara

Postby Kuranes on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm

My most used races are Human/Halfling/Elf

On a side note I enjoyed playing Dwarf back when they got damage reduction

And the goblin is my favoirte when it comes to aesthetics. :)
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Darvin

Postby Sythion on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Interesting that people are placing human > orc, as I thought that orc was better in almost all cases (with the exception of a high base attack damage load-out).

The abundance of multipliers to damage makes base attack damage more powerful late game, and of course it is much more powerful early game. But I tend to run dwarven guantlets in every attack layout...

For me:
Goblin
Halfling
Orc
Elf
Gnome
Dwarf
Human
Sythion

Postby gjaustin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Orc
Halfling
Dwarf
Human
Elf
Gnome
Goblin

I rarely use Dwarf, but I rate it so high since every so often it's the exact solution to a problem I'm having with a dungeon.
gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

I think the Crystal Ball and 4x Schadenfreude potion are pretty clearly overpowered; Elf/Gnome balance should go back to normal once those are adjusted. (Seriously, four Schandenfreude potions are equal to ten mana potions in their primary effect, which is just insane for 45 gold and a couple of prep slots that don't have too many competing uses. Their secondary effects - not pissing off GG or counting against Feeling Parched versus curing mana burn and not needing to take a hit to activate - are about equal. Schandenfreude should be at least 20 gold, and the Apothecary should probably either only give one extra shop or subtract one or two item shops. Or make the ratio of MP restored to damage taken less than 1:1.)

Orcs are superior to Humans if you've optimized for damage output, but it requires a serious investment - 300+ conversion points at low levels, 1000+ conversion points at high levels. If you're not willing to specialize to that degree, or you're not sure what strategy you're going to pursue, Humans are nearly always superior.

I still miss my gold-converting Goblins, even if their usefulness would be extremely limited. Make that the level 2 Goblin ability.
q 3

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons