[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Silent Update?

Silent Update?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Silent Update?

Postby Fran on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Fran

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Darvin

Postby CznRhubarb on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:56 pm

gjaustin:
Sorcerer is still pro at VHoS even without BLUDTOPOWA. Every melee hit takes two layers of DP off Indomintable because of mana shield, and you can also Fireball him then take a popcorn kill to have the burning strip off another layer.

Darvin:
To be fair, isn't Jehora's whole deal *supposed* to be high-risk/high-gain?
CznRhubarb

Postby Gorgon on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Gorgon

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Oh, I'm not saying he was right before or that a change wasn't justified. The problem I have is that all that risk is front-loaded into a single crap-shoot as to whether you can get petition online or not. I've aborted runs before because I've taken two shots of weakening and a hit of mana burn at level 1 before I got petition, and many times I've hit 25 without a single punishment. Putting the price tag of petition higher doesn't fix this problem, it just tweaks the odds a bit.

JJ's punishments are currently so powerful that you really can't afford to take more than a handful of them, and for higher level characters getting hit by a health drain or mana burn at an inopportune time is game-ending. On the other hand, once petition is online he's all carrot and no stick. This is too big a swing of extremes, and I think the very concept of petition is fundamentally flawed.
Darvin

Postby q 3 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:29 pm

How about making BLUDTOPOWA only work if your HP is at max, a la Exhaustion, but removing the penalty?

An idea for making burning less overpowered at low levels - when you kill a monster with burning, or trigger burning damage by attacking a different monster, you also receive damage in the amount of burning that was applied to the monster. I.e., monster has 16 burning and you kill it, or attack another monster, you also take 16 damage. Makes burning trickier to use at low levels and less of a no brainer combo with BLUDTOPOWA. And it makes some amount of sense in that it's dangerous to play with fire. You could then up the cap back to 3x per monster level, too, which would now be both a plus and a minus (since it increases the amount of burning damage you can receive).
q 3

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Flavor of the month? Man, I was doing Dwarf Rogues before it was cool :)

But seriously, Dwarf Rogues have always been very strong. They aren't quite as explosively broken as Orc Rogues with (old) CYDSTEPP, but they're still top tier.

Of course, now there's Alchemy Rogues and JJ Rogues.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Oh, I should clarify: HP-boosted Orc Rogues. Potentially even more HP than a Dwarf Rogue, and with all the damage of an Orc Rogue.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Actually, I'm more of a fan of the 310 hp priest, but the alchemist scroll breaks rogues too... Especially when they get 230 hp!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons