[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Proposed (mostly) minor changes

Proposed (mostly) minor changes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Proposed (mostly) minor changes

Postby Picotrain on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm

Hello,

I have just started playing the beta. I have been playing the alpha for a long time, and I appreciate the chance to play the beta this week. I will be pre-ordering once the beta expires. I have been finding the game really fun and an overall improvement on the original, which itself was an excellent game. Below are a few (mostly) minor changes that I would like to see. Feel free to ignore them completely.

1.) Potions - One small change that I have noted from the alpha is that potions are no longer automatically picked up. I understand the reason for this because there is not always a guarantee that there will be room for potions, unlike in the alpha. However, it makes sense to me that if a player already has a mana/health potion, then picking up an additional potion should be automatic, since holding 8 mana potions takes up the same number of slots as one mana potion.

2.) Restocking Fee - I like the new locker system. I like how when an item is lost in the dungeon, it just doesn't magically reappear. I like the idea of having to pay a restocking fee to get it back. However, I think this fee should be somehow related to the item itself, specifically the original price paid for it. Having all items cost 100 gold seems odd since the cost to restock an expensive item should be higher than a cheaper one (e.g. the spoon should not cost the same as the tower shield). This would be in keeping with the mantra of meaningful decisions; one should think carefully about taking an expensive item to a difficult dungeon in case it is lost and costs a bunch of money to reacquire.

3.) End-mission screen - I really enjoy looking at what I've killed at the end of a mission and the badges that I have won. There is a small section of stats that I think would be more effective as a chart. In most RTS games (and I realise that this ids not one) such information is presented in charts at the end of a mission and is usually more readable than what is currently in the DD beta.

4.) Artwork - I admit that changing artwork is not a *minor* change, but I do have some suggestions in this area. I apologise if they have already been mentioned. A.) The altar artwork when you step over it seems out of place compared to the rest of the game. I really enjoy the art style, particularly how each race/class combination has specific artwork, but the altar seems more like something from a paint-by-numbers book. I'd really like an image that is more in-tune with the game for each altar. B.) I'm not sure if this is temporary, but I'd really like a better town screen. Specifically, I would like to have visual representations of each level of guild (etc.) that change when upgraded. I understand that this would be a difficult task, but it would make more sense if the physical image of the town changed when buildings are upgraded (much like the old Sierra Caesar games).

Those are all my minor issues. Everything else, even balance-wise (which seems to be a contentious issue on these boards) seems fine to me. I really enjoy the depth of this game, and the replayability (and seemingly unendingness) of the game are huge drawing points in this sort of game. Excellent work!
Picotrain

Re: Proposed (mostly) minor changes

Postby xspeedballx on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

I only want to comment on the potions, I can say that for flexibility purposes it is preferable that you don't automagically pick up potions. If I want to have an extra inventory slot for a period of time, I can run myself out of potions, use that extra inventory slot until not needed, and convert the item and then stock up on potions on the ground.

Remember you can't drop anything once you pick it up, so having things on the ground always adds flexibility.
xspeedballx

Postby Picotrain on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Oh, I get what you mean there. That is a strategy I hadn't thought of. Would this strategy only be applicable if the hero was a wizard, or are there other situations when the small slots get used up by in-game items? I admit that while I have done virtually everything in the alpha, I am only on the normal dungeons in the beta.
Picotrain

Postby fall_ark on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:44 pm

fall_ark

Postby xspeedballx on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Strategy plays out beyond just the wizard because there are other small items, but also if you clear out all the small slots you have a big slot again, so there is a bit of inventory management you can play with.
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:26 pm

I agree with the altar screen changes. The one you see on the map is fine, but a "bigger" portrait (like what you see when you mouse over a monster) would be nice when you step on it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Picotrain on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:58 pm

One of the proposed changes I suggested was that the altar artwork be updated. In the latest update, it says "Altar Graphics Update Properly." What does this mean? I still think the altar graphics that you see on the info screen could do with an update (even something similar to the actual deity's picture would be nice.
Picotrain

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm

That's what I meant above. I don't know what they meant about update properly, but all the changes this week were bug fixes, so it isn't that.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Return to Desktop Dungeons