[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - A few pre-purchase questions

A few pre-purchase questions

All things Desktop Dungeons

A few pre-purchase questions

Postby Sylex on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 am

Hi, there. I've been giving the free for GDC beta a play, and I've got a couple things I'd like to ask, as well as a few comments, if you don't mind.

First of all, I'd like to say that it was a great idea to let everyone have a little time with the beta. I'd played the freeware version extensively, and loved it. In fact, I played it enough that I wasn't sure of what more the paid-for version would have to offer, and being able to give it a try has whetted my appetite. Where I wasn't thinking much about purchasing it before, I've now seen the variety of scenarios/dungeons, items, etc and now hoping to get a couple of answers so that I might be able to keep playing around with them after the GDC is over.

Okay, questions... The most pressing question in my mind is about the difference between the regular pre-order and the special edition. The description of the added content is a little nebulous. I've looked around on the forums to try to figure it out, but I'm left without clear answers. You see, I'm a bit of a completionist, so the thought that I might be missing out on content and unable to conquer the dungeons with a character that might open up or require new strategies doesn't sit very well with me, and although I understand that the special edition is a 'support the developers' kind of thing, I'm not particularly affluent and find it hard to bring myself to pay double for what seems to be a very small amount of additional content.

My inner completionist is trying to tell me not to get the regular pre-order, since it won't have everything... So please, assuage my worries and tell me that the extra kingdom building /class will be purely cosmetic and the quests will just be either gold quests or -simple- quests to obtain the special building/class rather than higher end challenge quests like "Ice and Fury" . I can definitely understand it if the extra building was something like a statue that you could click on to read some inscription that would make the player feel extra good about supporting you guys, but if its a building more similar to something like the alchemist, which provides preparations, then I know that the feeling of 'missing out' would always be chewing on the edge of my brain when I play.

My first feeling upon seeing a special edition, and then seeing that there was what might be extra 'functional' content (as opposed to cosmetic content) was a negative one. I don't mean saying all this as any sort of attack or anything, I just want you to understand the way that it can be perceived by some. Thanks to my experience with and love of the freeware, and then getting to try the payed for version these past few days I still will most likely purchase the it regardless of those misgivings, but I feel it necessary to caution that I'm sure some people undoubtedly see that and decide to just forfeit buying the game at all if they're going to either miss out on functional content. Anyway, I'll set these less pleasant thoughts aside and return to the the reason I was posting originally, more questions.

When the game is finally out of beta, do you think that you will reset the progress? Will we need to restart our kingdoms from scratch, or will the class victories and badges earned for some dungeons be erased? I understands if that is the case, but would like to know ahead of time so that I can put off trying to complete some of the dungeons with classes I enjoy less for the sake of a 100%.

Also, I saw mention of DD being put on steam eventually, and that they're usually good about giving out codes for pre-orders... so I'm curious about cross-platform linking. Will I be able to do something like play on my desktop, then take the progress I've made and play the same kingdom on an iPhone? More importantly, to me anyway, how about using my browser kingdom on steam? If I can do that, and if you all have steam achievements, will it unlock them so I can point at them to my friends on steam and feel all superior :lol: , or would I have to take the time to re-achieve them?

Okay, I think that about does it. Thanks for bothering to read all this, I know I tend to write a lot. I'd also like to say that you all are doing a great job (aside from that 'special edition' concern). I was especially impressed with how, in addition to all the additional content, you had such nice art for each of the classes for every race. They look awesome, except for one or two that just aren't to my taste (Halfling monk), and they all exude a charming personality. In addition to that, the way you've built and used the mechanics of the game to create all sorts of different dungeon experiences is quite impressive. Like I said before, I wasn't sure how the actual dungeons would differ from the freeware, other than maybe a couple extra library/crypt/factory/snake pit type themed dungeons, but you've given the game a wide variety of experiences and challenges that are fun to play through. Once again, good job. :)
Sylex

Re: A few pre-purchase questions

Postby Gorgon on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Although some veterans reset anyways to see if they can still beat vicious dungeons once they nerf a broken strategy.

And you would not believe how much variety there is. Even though you started playing it. If the dungeons aren't enough, the quests make you approach them in different ways. And I'll warn you as a fellow completionist, the final Vicious dungeons will eat your free time.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Ara on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Ara

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't even want to know how many hours I've put into this game. It is only exceeded by Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (1000+ hours).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sythion on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:16 pm

I don't even want my boss to know how many hours I've spent playing this game...
Sythion

Postby Murdus on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:48 pm

A somewhat related question to the devs: Is it somehow possibile to pay an extra 10$ to 'upgrade' my account into a Special Edition account? I bought the game, I was really sceptical, but I ended up getting addicted to the damn thing. I'm currenlty wasting time by trying to beat every Vicious with a Transmuter...

So yeah, I'd like to support the devs more, but I am also working at a limited budget here. Is it possibile?

TL;DR: Want to upgrade 10$ account, +10$ from paypal, I can haz?

EDIT: Suggestion: add a "total time played:" feature. I want to be horrified.
Murdus

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:02 pm

I believe they said awhile you can PM them.

The Avatar

Postby Murdus on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh, alright.

Mandatory minimum amount of characters, go.
Murdus

Postby harfatum on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen dislekcia say that save files will very probably be reset on release, but I don't have a link.

You can upgrade a regular account to special edition - I did it myself!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons