[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Return of the Unofficial Suggestions Thread

Return of the Unofficial Suggestions Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Return of the Unofficial Suggestions Thread

Postby Darvin on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:59 pm

I wouldn't make them lockerable until Ying/Yang subdungeon is finalized. This subdungeon is still completely useless to everyone except assassins and maybe rogues. For anyone else, the amount of effort required to defeat Ying/Yang isn't worth the reward, and since the subdungeon offers no exploration and you need to be a high level to attempt it that makes the resource expenditure even more odious.

Pretty much all of the "no-explore" subdungeons need considerable revision since they're entirely useless under a wide range of scenarios.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 pm

More to the point, part of tweaking the subdungeon may mean tweaking the reward. It may be that in the final revision the reward from Ying/Yang is too powerful to be lockerable. Until Ying/Yang actually reaches a state of completion it's premature to make the item lockerable.

Look at the original sensation stone; a 300 conversion point item would be totally broken even with stacking conversion orcs gone. Yet, such an item was a totally reasonable reward for having beaten Bjorn back when he was a subdungeon event (note to newer players: Bjorn was much, much stronger in early DD. He completely overshadowed pretty much all of the non-vicious bosses)
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:47 pm

He had 2 DP's and way better stats. I personally don't really like the idea behind Yin/Yang subdungeon as it stands. Can you at least add some exploration and make Yin and Yang different.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:00 am

I'd kind of like to see all subdungeons have the basic format of a small, already-explored initial area with the bulk of the level starting out unexplored. (Alternatively, just have all subdungeons be fully explored.) That would remove the rather gimmicky "wait to go downstairs until you need 9 tiles worth of HP" tactic that's currently necessary for optimal play (not to mention quite disappointing when you randomly get a subdungeon that's already lit up and now have to make up for those lost tiles).
q 3

Postby Darvin on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:29 am

Moving towards explored subdungeons would represent a difficulty increase across the board, and it could throw off prep balance by making smuggler's den relatively more powerful.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:00 am

I agree on making a 9x9 opening pre explored.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:34 am

My preference is still that all subdungeons have exactly the same amount of unexplored space.

Then they can be balanced based off of what has to be killed/done to access the rewards. In some cases, that reward being more unexplored space should be fine. But if you just walk into the dungeon and completely ignore it, you should be guaranteed a certain amount of space.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 am

A 5x5 square with 25 tiles is the norm. They could make the end of zombie money covered. Or the inner sanctum of the grove of knowledge, or the new world.

The Avatar

Postby Tinyboss on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 pm

First of all: wow, great game, I've been playing 6 hours straight!

I feel like my suggestion is obvious enough that its omission must be a deliberate choice...but juuuust in case, here it is:

"Hey, look, that says DEATH--are you SURE? Click again to DIE."

This is my first day playing, and I've died twice where this would have saved me. Once my finger slipped while hovering over the boss to view its particulars, and the second time, it looked like I could kill a critter with two attacks, so I clicked twice, and ended up dead.

I'm 100% sure that the second time was some legitimate game mechanic that I didn't take account of, and that it won't really happen anymore once I learn the game better. But this kind of death is something of a downer for a new player, and I don't see a drawback to a (maybe optional) confirmation for suicidal actions. Especially given the (really cool) fact that we can run back out at any time and not lose our gold and items, there's really no reason why I would deliberately choose to die.
Tinyboss

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons