Choice of Avatars

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Choice of Avatars

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm

So in revision, just change Tikki and Taurog. I think MA and Pactamaker need no switching, and nature is an untame force, so chaotic is fine.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Gorgon on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 pm

gjaustin wrote:Mystera is far too focused on being "fair" (e.g. Weakening) to not be Lawful. And since she doesn't really seem to care about helping her followers, that makes her solidly Lawful Neutral.

Well... I see your point. But she could fit into neutral too. The only reason her boons are double-edged is that she doesn't like violence.

Taurog doesn't strike me a particularly Chaotic. Yes, he wants you to kill things for him. But that's fairly standard Neutral Evil territory. I'd even prefer Lawful Evil, since he does have that magic hating thing going on.

I don't know how that makes him lawful... I still think he's chaotic. Chaotic gods have to hate something, after all ;)
Gorgon

Postby Gorgon on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:45 pm

The Avatar wrote:Gorgon's a naga? Well that's surprising!

And you're a goat now :D
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm

It really sucks when the people who decide to summon you are degenerate demonlords with crappy stats. Things go wrong.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:59 am

Mystera is far too focused on being "fair" (e.g. Weakening) to not be Lawful. And since she doesn't really seem to care about helping her followers, that makes her solidly Lawful Neutral.

I disagree; Mystera is naive, and is trying to prevent violence. Her apathy towards her follower's well-being is precisely why I would not put her into a lawful alignment, and her mercy towards the enemies of her followers is why I'd put her in the good alignment.

Earthmother only cares about her plants. She doesn't care that they're in your way and she doesn't care if you murder everything else in your way. She fits pretty closely into the "Druid" archetype from D&D and they have to be Neutral in either Law/Chaos or Good/Evil. I'd put her True Neutral myself.

A fair argument.

Taurog doesn't strike me a particularly Chaotic. Yes, he wants you to kill things for him. But that's fairly standard Neutral Evil territory. I'd even prefer Lawful Evil, since he does have that magic hating thing going on.

Taurog is a flaming bull monster surrounded by piles of skulls whose holy text reads "SMASH ENEMIES! SMASH MAGIC! SMASH EVERYTHING!". I think that's literally a textbook example of chaotic evil.

Pactmaker strikes me as being Neutral Good. He's the only one who doesn't make you jump through hoops. He's just happy that you're happy.

Pactmaker strikes me as true neutral because he's so removed from any motivation at all. He's the god of existence, he just is.

As for Tikki-Tooki, I see the argument for Neutral Evil. But he enjoys your random slaughter of level 1 enemies a bit too much. And considering you can bribe him for piety, he doesn't seem to have any real standards.

I could see the argument to make him chaotic.

For me, I was trying to figure out where the deities go on the alignment spectrum. I started with the ones that were obvious to me: Glowing Guardian, Binlor, Pactmaker, Jehora Jeheyu, and Taurog. I then pinned Earthmother and Mystera to the good axis, while pinning Dracul and Tikki Tooki to the evil axis. Perhaps there was a little bit of confirmation bias at that point when I was able to easily slot the remaining deities into the outstanding alignments.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 am

Well, it worked. This list makes sense...

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Kuranes on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Darvin wrote:Taurog - Chaotic Evil

As a representative of the benevolent Taurog I think this is completely off! He gives out piety like no-one else and even has the courtesy to give you cold hard items which is a lot more palpable than "Yeah yeah, I have blessed you. Now get going".

Taurog clearly needs a better PR department. Sure he craves blood and wizard guts, but so does Dracul. The only differnce is that Taurog only wants the guts of your enemies, and lets be frank that goblin genocide is something you were gonna pull off anyhow.

And Taurog will stay happy even if you decide to just pick up a sword and get going, he doesn't ask you to go through rigorous rites and paperwork to convert.
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Darvin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:51 pm

As a representative of the benevolent Taurog I think this is completely off! He gives out piety like no-one else and even has the courtesy to give you cold hard items which is a lot more palpable than "Yeah yeah, I have blessed you. Now get going".

He is rewarding bloodthirsty and murderous behavior, and he gives you tools with which to better slaughter your enemies. As with anything, this must be taken in context, and that context is a giant flaming bull monsters surrounded by a mountain of skulls telling you to slaughter everyone in your path.

Taurog clearly needs a better PR department. Sure he craves blood and wizard guts, but so does Dracul.

Showing how your god is morally equitable to the unholy god of undeath probably doesn't help your argument much...

(also 2000th post)
Darvin

Postby Kuranes on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 am

Yeah I know, I were just kidding. And congrats on the two thousandth post. :)
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons