Race Upgrades?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Race Upgrades?

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 pm

This might have been mentioned before, but here goes...

There are still a few references to race upgrades in the early quest text, and the races still have that teasing 'lvl 1' and the unclickable upgrade button button in the race screen.

Are there any plans for further upgrades, unlocks and customisation for races? Or was it just an old idea that's been cut and never fixed?

If not, the race upgrades could be a great gold sink, or simply another preparation path to take.

The levels could even be tied to a population metagame, where upgrading one and not another changes the racial mix of your kingdom, and has various modifiers. More goblins increases conversion rates, more elves increases the chance of a bludtopowah turning up near the player, etc.

For instance, if you ignore orcs for too long, they go on a rampage, giving all characters apart from orcs one less health at the start of a map until you take one out on a quest.

Or races could request certain trophies for their house, for extra gold or something.

Or you could give one extra locker slot for every race, maybe with race specific items and restrictions.

Or you could provide alternative race types;

- a 'Noble' human could be born with a silver spoon, and be charged an extra gold peice at every shop in exchange for more starting gold.

- an 'Underground' Dwarf could have vision in the dark with a small scouting area, in exchange for starting health or a weakening to start.

These kinds of increases in complexity give more room to break the game with exploit strategies, but they could also be used to steer players towards ideal race strategies, as could the quests required to get them.

Does anyone else have idea for race upgrades?

If not, I would love them removed, it's incredibly painful having those upgrade buttons permanently greyed out like that. O keep trying even though i know it's futile.

First time post, long time lurker and DD player. Keep up the good work guys, this one will go down in history.
Bloggorus

Re: Race Upgrades?

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:32 am

One more- a goblin with increase chance to dodge on conversion. They're supposed to be short.
Bloggorus

Postby Fran on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:46 am

Welcome to the forums ;)
This has been discussed several times, the devs statement being at some point that the 'lvl1' on the racial building is meant to be like some boolean value only meaning that the building exists (lvls not being visible in the last iteration of the kingdom interface); the plan was to leave it like that. Additional, race specific locker space were things among the many suggestions for racial upgrades.

But as you have proposed the same idea in the unofficial suggestions thread and disleckia actually approved it, we will see if and how your ideas end up in the game :)

I'm wondering how the monster classes are supposed to feel about the racial upgrades for the standard races ;)

- One last note, by clicking on edit you can edit your old posts so you don't have to doublepost.
Fran

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

The monster classes would be jealous, no doubt. But seeing as they are monsters, I have to wonder if they can even comprehend things such as jealousy...

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the huge post, I just realized how damn long it is. Here's hoping we get more upgrade options, I have gold to spend :)
Bloggorus

Postby unentschieden on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 am

The monsters are unholy chimeras forged from the blood scraped off adventuring heroes. They ARE the "upgrades".
unentschieden

Return to Desktop Dungeons