[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - A Few Things that Need Attention

A Few Things that Need Attention

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: A Few Things that Need Attention

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 pm

AA's used to give pause, or rather required strategy and considerations while playing stuff that was so broken as to walk all over the rest of the game. Imagine if you had a monster that can defea you while you have a god mode cheat on, and not by glitchy mechanic but pure hit points and damage alone.

Then consider them in a run where you DON'T have god mode on :S
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 am

Dunno how workable it would be, but I could see Animated Armors being reasonably well balanced with a 'deteriorate' effect wherein every time they lose a death protection they also lose some of their stats. Lower damage, lower max HP, maybe negative resistances. You're basically tearing the armor apart, so there's less of it left with each blow. That first death protection is still a challenge, but they'd be somewhat less ridiculous after that. (I could also see Zombies with a similar effect. They could stand to have at least a slight nerf.)

BLUDTOPOWA, I'd either have it with no penalty but it only works when you're at full HP (i.e. Exhaustion) or no penalty or restriction but Mystera and Binlor are grumpy when you use it. Binlor gets mad just like GG, Mystera gives reduced piety when you have it.

The main hurdle for BLUDTOPOWA solutions is BURNDAYRAZ, and more specifically Burning. My suggestion would be some combination of having Burning be more reliant on items/boons (e.g. initially you can only apply +1 burning per monster level; Mystera's Flames boon adds +1 per level to the cap each time it's used and can be repeated; the Battlemage Ring adds another +1/level to the cap) or giving Burning a penalty (e.g. every time a monster takes Burning damage, the player also takes a proportional amount of damage, for playing with fire).

My main suggestion for subdungeons is to make them more consistent in terms of the number of tiles available - if some subdungeons start fully explored, then maybe they all should. Otherwise, they should all have roughly the same dark area available. Maybe all classes should have the Tinker's stair sense, or at least a roguelike "level feeling" that hints at what kind of subdungeon(s) are present in a level. (And then the Tinker can have shop sense! Everyone wins!)
q 3

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:48 am

Darvin

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:18 pm

I have a solution- make it only convert health regen to mana when you actually aquire health, rather than than having it a straight doubling of mana regen.

That will encourage pure caster characters to 'lose and use' heir health.

As it stands, I think bludtopowah is a very good idea on paper, but fiddly in practise. It goes against all the other ones shot glyphs.

You could make it have an effect like double the damage taken from the next hit for increased mana regen. Or it could be a straight health to mana conversion, the reverse of halpmeh. One shot effect soltions haven't been bandied about much, and toggle effects seem to be too game breaking to properly implement.
Bloggorus

Postby gjaustin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm

gjaustin

Postby CznRhubarb on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:38 pm

I think some potential problems with making BLUDTOPOWA restore mana upon damage is that I don't need to reveal any tiles to get the mana back from BLUDTOPOWA, which means the monsters don't get to regen.
While it synergizes with sanguine, I think it may make the bloodmage too powerful. Without the monster regenerating, and by sucking up blood pools to regenerate health, the bloodmage (or anyone with sanguine) could have a near infinite amount of mana.

It is also pretty much the sorcerer's ability in reverse. Which means if the sorc finds a BLUDTOPOWA, they will regenerate mana every melee swing they make and regenerate health every spell they cast.
CznRhubarb

Postby gjaustin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Hmm, I hadn't thought of the interaction with the Sorcerer. They'd have infinite health/mana at levels 1 and 2.

Maybe it should just be 1 mana per 10 damage taken. That would be (slightly) better at level 10, but not as overpowered at lower levels. It would also conflict with Blood Tithe, making them not quite as silly as a combo.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:33 pm

That'd make a level 10 wizard (or anyone with a crystal ball) with BLUDTUPOWA and HALPMEH immortal. He'll always regenerate enough mana to fully heal himself after each attack.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm

gjaustin

Postby Fran on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Why not take B2P literally?
While on, blood pools heal mana and damage you, because you have to split some of your own blood to mix it with the blood on the floor to perform this sinister ritual. It may be convenient to have the damage above the HALPMEH value, but even if not, this is still no infinite combo as blood pools are limited.
By toogling on/off you could use blood pools to both heal your mana and health, but you'd lose more ressources this way too. If it is too powerful, adjust the numbers in a way that makes sense (I gave no numbers on those abilities on purpose).
Following this approach, I'd replace sanguine with some kind of "magical menstruation" where you spawn a blood pool underneath yourself every time you level up or reach an exp milestone (as a little help for dungeons like naga city and the like where you're cut off your bloodpools).
Fran

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons