[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - mechanics questions and advice requests

mechanics questions and advice requests

All things Desktop Dungeons

mechanics questions and advice requests

Postby franz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Hello everyone!
I have three questions that I hope some veteran could answer:

First of all, how exactly does burning work?
Second, has anyone done the math on humans and orcs attack bonus, to see when one is more beneficial than the other? My guess is to pick orc when planning to convert a lot of stuff and go for a somewhat straightforward melee build, human when playing hybrid with more glyphs and equip, but I'm too dumb to figure out the exact numbers.
Third and last: are there items that can only be found in quests or the like and not in shops, items that must be lockered or be lost forever? In general I'd like to know what items are in expert players' lockers and why.

Thanks in advance for any response!
PS: deep respect to the developers of such a wonderful hard casual game!
Last edited by franz on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
franz

Re: some beginner questions (items, orcs vs humans and burni

Postby gjaustin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm

gjaustin

Postby franz on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Thank you, you solved almost all my doubts :)
I still would like to see numbers on human vs orc but I think I can settle with the info you provided. Thanks again and good luck on your dungeon explorations!
franz

Postby gjaustin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:54 pm

I think one of the other posters did the math once. The problem is that due to the way the Orc's bonus stacks, it's very dependent on how many conversion points you end up with.

I generally stick with the Orc myself, with Wizards and Sorcerers being my two exceptions. For both of those classes, I make sure to take the prep that replaces two attack bonuses with two mana bonuses. This lets the Wizard both eliminate his penalty and get to 15 mana (6 mana per potion), while it lets the Sorcerer get to 20 mana (8 per potion) and still get have a strong melee attack.
gjaustin

Postby Kuranes on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:23 pm

"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby franz on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Yes I read that post but I believe it was from a previous version, I think the orc conversion was a flat +2 attack bonus (that looks a bit underpowered to me).
franz

Postby Darvin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Darvin

Postby Mister Bile on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:12 am

A question in a similar vein: Does anyone actually prep specific gods for a dungeon? So far, I've only occasionally prepped Turaog and/or the random extra altar. Everyone else's penalty seems too severe, and I have to pay 50 gold for the "honor" to boot.
Mister Bile

Postby Halion on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:36 am

While some of the penalties are harsh, specific strategies can make use of them quite well. Eventually that gold cost stops being an issue.

God preps are definitely amongst your more advanced preps though, it can take a lot of play to evaluate each god well.

Exactly how crippling each of the prep drawbacks are has been a somewhat contentious issue. Some veteran players find certain drawbacks intolerable, others are unconcerned.
Halion

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 am

Jehora Jeheyu is an awesome god, but giving up a precious inventory slot... ewww....
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons