Ask QCF a question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ask QCF a question

Postby SmackleFunky on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:02 am

How many Exclusive Editions where available?
SmackleFunky

Postby Aequitas on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am

Drew wrote:Do you plan on doing anything audio wise? Or will their just be the boss encounter sound and what not?

We're looking to put way more audio into the game, including music (hopefully ramping up in pace as you level higher).

Drew wrote:Will players be able to share their highest gauntlet level runs?

We're going to be putting in leaderboards for as much as we can, but the scoring system is being changed quite drastically.

Drew wrote:Are you making a serious or humorous campaign mode?

Definitely humorous. You'll be managing a kingdom whose primary economic activity is sending adventurers out to collect dead monster bits ;)

Drew wrote:Will we see any more character portraits before the beta?

I'm sure they'll pop up here or there ;)

SmackleFunky wrote:How many Exclusive Editions where available?

20. They sold out in under 24 hours .... still in awe of the DD community for being so generous
Aequitas
Site Admin

Postby flap on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Aequitas wrote:
Drew wrote:Are you making a serious or humorous campaign mode?

Definitely humorous. You'll be managing a kingdom whose primary economic activity is sending adventurers out to collect dead monster bits ;)

You guys might have tried that game : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/157984/ld20/final/ld20.html
It is not exactly what you describe, but there is some of it : make as much money as you can when selling weapons. But not too expensive, so you don't get crushed by the ennemi.
Could somehow be some source of inspiration.
flap

Trasnfer preorders to Steam?

Postby frobnic8 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:47 pm

I noticed you mentioned eventual Steam release in the FAQ. As someone who always loses his precious, precious activation keys/full installers, will it be possible to activate pre-orders on Steam?

(Since, you know, the game isn't even out yet and the most important detail you guys should be worrying about right now is future potential integration with a third party distribution platform.)
frobnic8

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Is the extra class in the special edition the same as the one in the freeware version?

Will the additional content in the special edition be available through any other means later? I've read the explanation for it but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If however the access to the content can be gotten later I might be more accepting of it.
TigerKnee

Postby zeemeerman2 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:16 pm

I haven't seen much of the actual kingdom system.
WIll the non-dungeon screens feature a world map, like in Super Mario World, a text-based menu, like the freeware Desktop Dungeons, a graphical selection screen like in Purble Place (which comes standard on Vista, like Minesweeper and Solitaire) or a free-roaming world, like the Zelda and Final Fantasy world maps?

Examples:
Super Mario World - Tile-based movement system

Desktop Dungeons Freeware - Click on a button

Purble Place - click on the one of the buildings to go to a next menu

Zelda: Twilight Princess - A place that connects all levels/dungeons together
zeemeerman2

Postby Herborist on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 pm

One thing (probably the only thing) I didn't like about the freeware version is that it forced you to switch between classes over and over to complete all of the content. Will the Unity version be similar, or will we be able to stick with our favorite classes and still enjoy the game?

In other words, will I have fun going through the game's dungeon content with just the wizard, for example, or will I have to try each character class in order to fully enjoy the game? I was hoping the kingdom signaled a shift toward a Rogue-like and away from purely a puzzle game in the guise of a rogue-like.
Herborist

Postby Drew on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 pm

Why doesnt the changeling count towards unlocking stuff like shops?
Drew

Postby dislekcia on Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:46 am

flap wrote:You guys might have tried that game : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/157984/ld20/final/ld20.html
It is not exactly what you describe, but there is some of it : make as much money as you can when selling weapons. But not too expensive, so you don't get crushed by the ennemi.
Could somehow be some source of inspiration.

Is that Reccetear? Haven't had a chance to play that yet, but I've heard quite a lot about it.

frobnic8 wrote:I noticed you mentioned eventual Steam release in the FAQ. As someone who always loses his precious, precious activation keys/full installers, will it be possible to activate pre-orders on Steam?

(Since, you know, the game isn't even out yet and the most important detail you guys should be worrying about right now is future potential integration with a third party distribution platform.)

The reason we ask for an email address when you pre-order is that's your account key: Once the beta starts, you'll be able to set a password (and reset it whenever you want, via a validation email) and use that to login to the game. The beta will be web-driven in order to let us change it often and still keep everyone up to date. That system could easily be replaced by Steam authentication, but we won't be applying to Steam for the beta, that will be something we start for the full version.

TigerKnee wrote:Is the extra class in the special edition the same as the one in the freeware version?

No. The new class in the freeware is just that: A new class that we wanted to test out to see how people took to playing it.

TigerKnee wrote:Will the additional content in the special edition be available through any other means later? I've read the explanation for it but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If however the access to the content can be gotten later I might be more accepting of it.

We won't be selling the Special Edition after the beta ends, that's still intended as something for people who want to support us and/or feel that they enjoyed the freeware a ton. The bonus class might be something we'd offer up as optional DLC if there's demand for it, but I don't think we'd add in the commemorative building too. That doesn't seem right... The class delivered via DLC would probably have to live in the Alchemists, with all the other specials.

zeemeerman2 wrote:I haven't seen much of the actual kingdom system.
WIll the non-dungeon screens feature a world map, like in Super Mario World, a text-based menu, like the freeware Desktop Dungeons, a graphical selection screen like in Purble Place (which comes standard on Vista, like Minesweeper and Solitaire) or a free-roaming world, like the Zelda and Final Fantasy world maps?

The Kingdom system exists to solve multiple problems:
Firstly, it has to allow players to select which dungeon they want to go adventuring in. We've got a secondary map screen that lays out available dungeons for you, displays some stats and lets you see which dungeons have active quests.
Secondly, it has to allow players to interact with their buildings so that they can upgrade them over time and do the various things that the individual buildings provide - like the Tavern is the place to go to make changes to your active quest list.
Thirdly, it has to allow players to select their race, class and preparations when they're about to go adventuring. This is a multi-step process that sometimes recycles buildings for more than one step, it's one of the elements that we seriously want to test.

We want the Kingdom to be graphical and fun, but at the moment we're still using text buttons in place of Lurk's gorgeous building art because text buttons are easier to change. The changes to the metagame that come with the Kingdom are pretty big. We're hoping that they're as fun for you as we think they are.

Herborist wrote:One thing (probably the only thing) I didn't like about the freeware version is that it forced you to switch between classes over and over to complete all of the content. Will the Unity version be similar, or will we be able to stick with our favorite classes and still enjoy the game?

You will have more control over the specific progression of classes and unlocks in the game and I suppose it will be possible to play as one class for most of the game if you'd like to do that. Some quests might require specific classes or races be played, but we'll try to keep those quests optional for players that want to explore rather than super-important for overall Kingdom progression.

The beginning quests don't care what you play as, only that you manage to make the Kingdom safer or rescue the Halflings. Straight puzzle levels will probably set your race and class explicitly though, but we haven't implemented any of those beyond ideas in the design doc yet. DD isn't changing fundamentally though, I suppose people will always be able to argue over where it falls on the roguelike spectrum ;)

Drew wrote:Why doesnt the changeling count towards unlocking stuff like shops?

Because the shop unlocks and the like were coded before the Changeling was added to the game. You're butting up against the complexity problems that have been growing in the GM version over time: We could probably go back and make the new class affect some aspects of the game for completing challenge dungeons with it, but it would take ages for very little reward. Even then, in some instances we don't have anything to unlock with a 19th class: We'd have to add new items to an already rickety system.

Although if that's too disheartening an answer, be aware that 19 doesn't divide nicely by 2 or 3. That makes it only 5 max gold you're missing out on ;)
dislekcia

Postby HenryVIIII on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:38 am

1. This is a somewhat petty question in the end, but will the game support more than one resolution setting? It seems quite a few indie games lately have been sticking to 800 x 600 and nothing else.
2. Will there be different difficulty modes or is that something that will be handled more through player decisions through their use of races, gods, and glyphs?
3. If there is any need for you to update the game as you did in the freeware version (say, with a new class or a new dungeon type), will you use Steam's auto-patching to make these kinds of updates available to us in the paid version as well?
4. What will the proportion of "beginner" dungeons to "veteran" dungeons be? Is there a 50/50 split or is one type overpowering the other? If any one type is more dominant, I'd personally prefer the veteran dungeons.
5. Do we have any idea of a release window yet or is that something we'll learn at E3?
6. Sorry for so many questions, but this is one of my very most anticipated games of the year. Kudos to all. :D
HenryVIIII

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons