Ask QCF a question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ask QCF a question

Postby Nandrew on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:12 am

HenryVIIII wrote:1. This is a somewhat petty question in the end, but will the game support more than one resolution setting? It seems quite a few indie games lately have been sticking to 800 x 600 and nothing else.

800x600 is the game's expected resolution, but Unity scales nicely so it should be possible to resize as you want.

HenryVIIII wrote:2. Will there be different difficulty modes or is that something that will be handled more through player decisions through their use of races, gods, and glyphs?

No new difficulties, but the dungeon count in the full is WAY higher, meaning three things:
1) A bunch of easier dungeons for struggling players (including one where the boss is 2 levels lower than normal)
2) A more gradual difficulty gradient overall -- instead of hopping from normal dungeons straight to challenges like the snakepit and whatnot, there will be a bunch of dungeons which could be considered "in between" the two in difficulty.
3) For veterans, extreme challenge dungeons will be made available as "bonus" or "side quest" dungeons. And instead of simply slapping on more numbers and more bosses, we'll be able to throw in interesting constraints such as glyph loadout, terrain generation quirks and even scripted dungeon events. And the rewards are far sweeter ... unique items and fantastic gold hauls await those who dare and win.

HenryVIIII wrote:3. If there is any need for you to update the game as you did in the freeware version (say, with a new class or a new dungeon type), will you use Steam's auto-patching to make these kinds of updates available to us in the paid version as well?

The full will definitely work more gracefully in this regard -- we don't want to force players to manually mess around with versions and copying and whatnot. :P

People playing the beta MAY still have to suffer a little bit in this regard as data could occasionally be altered or reset. Unfortunately, being part of a test environment means that these sort of things happen.

HenryVIIII wrote:4. What will the proportion of "beginner" dungeons to "veteran" dungeons be? Is there a 50/50 split or is one type overpowering the other? If any one type is more dominant, I'd personally prefer the veteran dungeons.

I agree with you there. ;) But we're also really taking care to make sure that new players don't feel overwhelmed by the game. We're putting in enough beginner dungeons to make absolutely sure that people can get their feet wet before nudging them towards the "normal" ones. And even average difficulty dungeons should interest veterans due to the way they experiment with new play styles.

But yes, I want to make, like, a ZILLION challenge dungeons. They're more fun for me to playtest anyway. :D

HenryVIIII wrote:5. Do we have any idea of a release window yet or is that something we'll learn at E3?

Pay attention to our site over the course of E3 -- you'll be glad you did. :)
Nandrew

Postby HenryVIIII on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Oh, I totally agree with you. There need to be enough beginner dungeons to the point if they never touch veteran dungeons, they're still satisfied. But at the same time, I think that kinda setup could still allow for more veteran dungeons. I ask this as a person who's not even managed to unlock all the classes, so I'm not a veteran in any sense of the word. It's just that I like getting a lot of mileage out of my games, so I know that eventually I will do so and that I would love mastering the game's intricacies.
HenryVIIII

Postby Herborist on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:14 pm

HenryVIIII wrote:Oh, I totally agree with you. There need to be enough beginner dungeons to the point if they never touch veteran dungeons, they're still satisfied. But at the same time, I think that kinda setup could still allow for more veteran dungeons. I ask this as a person who's not even managed to unlock all the classes, so I'm not a veteran in any sense of the word. It's just that I like getting a lot of mileage out of my games, so I know that eventually I will do so and that I would love mastering the game's intricacies.

I like the system as he described it: "veteran" dungeons are effectively side quests that need not be done. They're basically novelty achievements (trophies?) that say "You, sir, are a Veteran Dungeoner -- have a +5 Vorpal Sword of Elitism."

At least that's what I got from Nandrew's description.

I have another question, as well - will you be releasing content after the release of the game, i.e., extra dungeon/class/item packs? If it's done via Steam, I wouldn't mind paying $1 for some extra map packs or whatnot. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm underselling your hardwork; $0.50 ~ $2 is usually the price of DLC's for most of the indie games I see on Steam.
Herborist

Postby JamesBond007 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Hello, I'm new here. Recently, I got new version 0.21 of DD, but I have three questions after new, huge amount of information.
1. What's the system requirements of the full version? Is Steam required?
2. Are there any chances for more $75 Exclusive editions?
3. Will the Special Edition be available forever?
JamesBond007

Postby Drew on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:40 pm

bosses like Nine Toes are much easier to kill then bosses like the Super Meat Man. Any plans to balance bosses more?
Also... will we be seeing boss versions of the Dungeon exclusive monsters like the Nagi and Vampire?
Drew

Postby HenryVIIII on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:20 am

Herborist wrote:
HenryVIIII wrote:Oh, I totally agree with you. There need to be enough beginner dungeons to the point if they never touch veteran dungeons, they're still satisfied. But at the same time, I think that kinda setup could still allow for more veteran dungeons. I ask this as a person who's not even managed to unlock all the classes, so I'm not a veteran in any sense of the word. It's just that I like getting a lot of mileage out of my games, so I know that eventually I will do so and that I would love mastering the game's intricacies.

I like the system as he described it: "veteran" dungeons are effectively side quests that need not be done. They're basically novelty achievements (trophies?) that say "You, sir, are a Veteran Dungeoner -- have a +5 Vorpal Sword of Elitism."

Come to think of it... Even if the veteran dungeons ARE lesser in number than the beginning dungeons, it doesn't amount to a whole lot. After all, the paid product will contain randomized dungeon patterns as well. True, there will be more specific terms and conditions for each dungeon than before (and this excites me), but the designs will still be largely random. And this allows for great replayability. So really, any type of player wins. =D
HenryVIIII

Postby Herborist on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:37 am

HenryVIIII wrote:
Herborist wrote:

Come to think of it... Even if the veteran dungeons ARE lesser in number than the beginning dungeons, it doesn't amount to a whole lot. After all, the paid product will contain randomized dungeon patterns as well. True, there will be more specific terms and conditions for each dungeon than before (and this excites me), but the designs will still be largely random. And this allows for great replayability. So really, any type of player wins. =D

I'm not saying that there will be less of them. They're imposing a sort of difficulty system wherein if you want to experience more challenging content, you take side quests, but if you prefer to take it easy, you just continue the "main story," or however it's posed.

It's an informal difficulty system of sorts, and I like it (if I got it right :P).
Herborist

Postby Nandrew on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:31 am

Yeah, the new progression system basically means that more of the game will be open to average players. Instead of being stuck scratching the surface of a long unlock chain, you'll be free to move through a great deal of the game (the "main story", though we don't really use a linear narrative ;) ) using your favourite characters without having to jump through ridiculous challenge hoops -- though said hoops will still be hanging around for people who know enough about the game to make use of them!

Some quests won't even require you to defeat a particular dungeon boss: player goals have become broader, and some of them will be easier to reach (amass a certain amount of gold) while some can be more difficult (win this dungeon while earning a particular accolade). This allows us to thread veteran challenges alongside the easier ones instead of forcing everyone through a single difficulty barrier.

The only point at which you'll hit a solid "difficulty wall" is late-game, when your kingdom is already more or less fully developed. Even then, veteran dungeon challenges will be at most a layer or two deep.

In short: there's a sizable portion of the game's challenges that beginners won't be able to DEFEAT, but at least all players will have easier ACCESS to them.

Drew wrote:bosses like Nine Toes are much easier to kill then bosses like the Super Meat Man. Any plans to balance bosses more?
Also... will we be seeing boss versions of the Dungeon exclusive monsters like the Nagi and Vampire?

We may pull up the socks on some of the easier bosses, but for the most part we'll be using those sort of bosses for easy-level dungeons and special situations anyway. Harder/easier variants of the standard bosses also exist in different dungeon areas -- for example, the standard Gorgon boss (Medusa) is very similar to her old-version counterpart, but another Gorgon boss in a different map (Stheno) is actually more powerful and has several special stats.

And yes, in addition to the variants on old bosses, we also have boss characters for the other enemies -- like Ssseth the Naga (who currently uses a particularly vicious combination of Weaken and resistances). We've also got entirely new enemy types introduced in this version who have their OWN bosses, and the difficulty of these creatures ranges from regular to pretty fierce. ;)

JamesBond007 wrote:Hello, I'm new here. Recently, I got new version 0.21 of DD, but I have three questions after new, huge amount of information.
1. What's the system requirements of the full version? Is Steam required?
2. Are there any chances for more $75 Exclusive editions?
3. Will the Special Edition be available forever?

1. I don't know precise system specs, but we're eventually porting this to mobile devices so we can't make them too high. :P Unity seems to play nice with more systems than Game Maker, though, so the support will most likely be broadened. Steam is on the cards eventually, but the beta won't be using it.

2. We're debating that. You'll have to keep your eyes peeled for announcements. :)

3. There's been some misunderstandings about the extent of (and intent behind) the Special Edition. We originally wanted to create it as something special for people who wanted to donate extra money and help fund our development, and give them something light-but-exclusive as a reward. Right now, I'm not sure what the decision is going to be, but the SE will still be available to order for a while, and I know that some people are holding out on purchasing until things are clearer. We'll post updates when the matter is resolved. :)

Herborist wrote:I have another question, as well - will you be releasing content after the release of the game, i.e., extra dungeon/class/item packs? If it's done via Steam, I wouldn't mind paying $1 for some extra map packs or whatnot. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm underselling your hardwork; $0.50 ~ $2 is usually the price of DLC's for most of the indie games I see on Steam.

DLC is definitely a possibility, there's always cool-sounding ideas that don't make it into a game's initial release due to time or other constraints. It's not something that we're paying too much attention to, though: we're focusing more on making a product that feels complete by itself, extending the game life comes later.
Nandrew

Postby Herborist on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:56 am

Nandrew wrote:DLC is definitely a possibility, there's always cool-sounding ideas that don't make it into a game's initial release due to time or other constraints. It's not something that we're paying too much attention to, though: we're focusing more on making a product that feels complete by itself, extending the game life comes later.

I'll be honest: that's the perfect response. =)

I didn't think I could get any more hyped up and anxious for this game, but all of your (and dislekcia's... is that how you spell it?) responses have done a great job at making the game sound great while answering most questions.

Just one last question for me before I climb into my space capsule and go into "hyper sleep" til the game comes out:

Will the game still be like its predecessor and require you to complete certain challenges to unlock most of the character classes, or will more be available from the get go? I assume some are still locked and that no one has a problem with this; the base is what I'm interested in.
Herborist

Postby Nandrew on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:30 pm

I hope we can live up to the anticipation! We're really trying to one-up the freeware in a big way. ;)

Herborist wrote:Will the game still be like its predecessor and require you to complete certain challenges to unlock most of the character classes, or will more be available from the get go? I assume some are still locked and that no one has a problem with this; the base is what I'm interested in.

The base classes are much easier to unlock in the new version. You'll still have to do quite a bit of work to make them available (the main constraint is a gold cost) but the idea is that even weak players can eventually open up these options and experiment without being permanently stuck on just the first characters.

Bonus classes and monster classes will remain fairly difficult to unlock, though we'll be trying an interesting new system with the latter. Will probably blog about it sometime to explain more.

Interestingly enough, other things which previous DD players may have taken for granted (shops, gods, other random stuff) will now be hidden behind their own unlock walls, so if people are worried that there are somehow less unlockables, no fear! We've just tweaked things for a more gradual introduction to advanced play elements. ;)
Nandrew

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons