Ask QCF a question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ask QCF a question

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

zeemeerman2 wrote:- Multiple profiles and names on accounts:
Are you able to name a profile the same on two accounts? (like account the account of dislekcia and the account of zeemeerman2 have both a profile named "Hello world") If so, I can understand for purposes of offline play, where you can't always check name availability. But the other way around, for online high score ranking purposes, you might not want to take the same name. Otherwise it might get confusing when looked up. "Now which of them is MY score? Hello world 2350 points or Hello world 2450 points, which was it? I only played once, that's true." Sorry if I'm not clear, but do you understand what I'm saying?

We'll probably differentiate a score for one of your profiles somehow, either that or use the email info before the @ sign as an identifier of sorts. Obviously we don't want to just give out email addresses, that would be irresponsible of us. It would also probably not make much sense to force players to have unique profile names, that wouldn't work so well for offline/online play. With Steam accounts it would obviously be a different story...

zeemeerman2 wrote:- How is your stance on account sharing (e.g. can I share my account with my little brother, etc... For a matter of comparison; Blizzard from World of Warcraft says this: "Our Terms of Use prohibits the sharing of accounts except in the situation where a parent or guardian authorizes access to one child." Source: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article. ... leId=20576)

We have some basic protection in place to prevent a single account logging in from multiple locations, but beyond that who are we to say if you're playing the game you bought from a bunch of different machines? It's your game. I guess we'd like it if everyone that wanted to play went ahead to buy the game, but I don't think we can kid ourselves in today's game market ;)
dislekcia

Postby Jax on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, somewhere else, but I am wondering if you are going to allow mods with different tile sizes (as I felt both the freeware and the E3 demo is/was a bit small on a 1280x800 MacBook screen) as is done in FreeCiv? Or is the tile size set?
Doing DD on a MacBook Pro 13" 2011 (10.8.5) w/ Firefox 25.0
Jax

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:53 am

Jax wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before, somewhere else, but I am wondering if you are going to allow mods with different tile sizes (as I felt both the freeware and the E3 demo is/was a bit small on a 1280x800 MacBook screen) as is done in FreeCiv? Or is the tile size set?

Tile sizes are pretty much set: The sheer amount of work that goes into a single area type's tiles now means that it's probably not feasible for people who'd like to mod them. I could, of course, be wrong on that though...

Why didn't the fullscreen option work for your E3 demo?
dislekcia

Postby TheLogan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Game developers hate the question "when will it be done", I should know since I am one, heh, so I will refrain from asking.
I will instead come with a suggestion, if its not too much of a hassle, how about uploading the E3 demo again, at least for people who have bought the game, just until the beta starts?
Unless of course the beta is right around the corner then don't bother =)
TheLogan

Postby zeemeerman2 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Fullscreen worked for me at the E3 demo, but at two different levels. You might look into it.
The difference is when a widescreen display is used.

The ingame button sets the 4:3 browser screen to 4:3 full screen with black borders right and left, while a right-click menu (like Flash games, you're not supposed to use the right-click menu other than at The Impossible Quiz question 40, but it's there) with a full-screen toggle stretches the image to your full screen. For Macbook users like you and me, it's stretched to ratio 16:10.
zeemeerman2

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 pm

TheLogan wrote:Game developers hate the question "when will it be done", I should know since I am one, heh, so I will refrain from asking.
I will instead come with a suggestion, if its not too much of a hassle, how about uploading the E3 demo again, at least for people who have bought the game, just until the beta starts?
Unless of course the beta is right around the corner then don't bother =)

Well, our "around the corner" might be different to yours, but the beta should be up by the end of next month unless something truly horrible happens...

zeemeerman2 wrote:Fullscreen worked for me at the E3 demo, but at two different levels. You might look into it.
The difference is when a widescreen display is used.

The ingame button sets the 4:3 browser screen to 4:3 full screen with black borders right and left, while a right-click menu (like Flash games, you're not supposed to use the right-click menu other than at The Impossible Quiz question 40, but it's there) with a full-screen toggle stretches the image to your full screen. For Macbook users like you and me, it's stretched to ratio 16:10.

There was a right-click menu? *boggle*

That shouldn't have been there. I'll look out for ways to nuke it in future.
dislekcia

Postby zeemeerman2 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 pm

There was a right-click menu? *boggle*

That shouldn't have been there. I'll look out for ways to nuke it in future.

Seriously? You didn't know?
Oh well, then if you are able to get rid of the right-click menu, you'd also be able to use the right-click button for other things, like interface enhancements.
Rightclicks don't need to be used for menu-related items. If I take Diablo II as an example (yes, I played a lot of Blizzard games :P), left-click attacks while right-click casts the currently selected spell. In Roller Coaster Tycoon, you can right-click on a piece of path to remove it, in Age of Empires, rightclick orders a unit to go somewhere and in the track editor of Trackmania, you can use a rightclick to turn a track piece 90° (example).
I don't really know anything about the possible usage of rightclicking in Desktop Dungeons, but it might be possible to consider keeping in mind.

The freeware version of DD doesn't have a mouseover info pane for power-ups, potions, shops and altars, only for enemies. Maybe something you can do with this info... (rightclick?)

Also, as a standard, modern Apple mice and trackpads don't support middleclick (yet there are 3rd party tools to mimic middle-clicks). Apple mice/trackpads can scroll though, as using a scrollwheel without the "scrollwheel ticks"; scrolling up or down in pixels, not in amount of "rows" like Windows mice scroll up or down 3 rows standard.
Just if you didn't know...

Now something different...

I heard you recently fixed some black lines by shifting the camera less than a pixel down because of the 3D engine of Unity. (source)
So why not make it 3D? They did it with Zelda... ;) (view image at the bottom of this post)

(I'm half kidding but it would be epic if you really made it that way!
zeemeerman2

Postby TheLogan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:14 pm

@ That really does depend on the amount of work, if its like 5 minutes of work, i would personally do it, if its much more than that, well, +1 month isnt a long wait =)

Also your using unity3D? Cool, then its as simple as going to edit->project settings->player, and then click the globe icon, now your presented with three, "webplayer templates" the bottom one is without contect menu (eg rightclick menu), iirc what your looking for is in the html file, that the player is run in, so just rip what you need, but you probably already know this =)
TheLogan

Postby Jax on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 am

I wasn't aware of the fullscreen options in the demo, sorry. I promise to research the options next time around. :D

If I can get fullscreen to run okay in the next version, I can live without different tile sizes - it was just another way of trying to avoid having to get new glasses (or a bigger screen). :)
Doing DD on a MacBook Pro 13" 2011 (10.8.5) w/ Firefox 25.0
Jax

Postby TheLogan on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 am

well, if it is unity you can just click alt+enter to go fullscreen.

Btw, are you guys planing on implementing some modability? if yes, how would you go about it? =)
TheLogan

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons