Ask QCF a question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ask QCF a question

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:09 am

zeemeerman2 wrote:The freeware version of DD doesn't have a mouseover info pane for power-ups, potions, shops and altars, only for enemies. Maybe something you can do with this info... (rightclick?)

Also, as a standard, modern Apple mice and trackpads don't support middleclick (yet there are 3rd party tools to mimic middle-clicks). Apple mice/trackpads can scroll though, as using a scrollwheel without the "scrollwheel ticks"; scrolling up or down in pixels, not in amount of "rows" like Windows mice scroll up or down 3 rows standard.
Just if you didn't know...

Now something different...

I heard you recently fixed some black lines by shifting the camera less than a pixel down because of the 3D engine of Unity. (source)
So why not make it 3D? They did it with Zelda... ;)

We've restricted right clicking in-game to cancel casting or interactions that have a selection step. You can always cancel in other ways too (like clicking the item again) but that's what right click is for. While D2 made right click indispensable, they also had total machine control and weren't playing in a browser. The less we can force players to remember more controls, the better. Hardcore players will generally cast and cancel using the slot hotkeys anyway (which are now in the game). I mean, my own RMB is practically dead from SC2, but for some reason forcing players to use it just feels odd...

It's really not a matter of simply making things 3D, seeing as the game is already using 3D with 2D assets. Displaying 3D models would require not only a complete redo of every single lovingly crafted piece of art in the game, it would also need hordes of systems changed to make sure everything still displayed correctly for very little gameplay impact. The sheer amount of work that would have to go into the dungeon visualisation already breaks my head. Argh.

TheLogan wrote:@ That really does depend on the amount of work, if its like 5 minutes of work, i would personally do it, if its much more than that, well, +1 month isnt a long wait =)

Also your using unity3D? Cool, then its as simple as going to edit->project settings->player, and then click the globe icon, now your presented with three, "webplayer templates" the bottom one is without contect menu (eg rightclick menu), iirc what your looking for is in the html file, that the player is run in, so just rip what you need, but you probably already know this =)

I thought I had done that... Maybe the HTML got messed around or switched over the week while I was away. Either way, we'll try to keep it from being a factor again. I hate that fullscreen implementation.

Jax wrote:I wasn't aware of the fullscreen options in the demo, sorry. I promise to research the options next time around. :D

If I can get fullscreen to run okay in the next version, I can live without different tile sizes - it was just another way of trying to avoid having to get new glasses (or a bigger screen). :)

Ah ok, glad it was just us being dumb and not pointing out the fullscreen option better. And yeah, I hate that we can't fullscreen reliably on Mac with the freeware. Sorry about that.

TheLogan wrote:Btw, are you guys planing on implementing some modability? if yes, how would you go about it? =)

Haven't really though about mod support. In general I can see why people would want it, but we'd have to move to a data-driven approach then - loading everything in the game via a script interface or something similar. Right now the only real area we've done that is the in-game text (for localisation reasons) and we're so busy making all the game content now that I doubt we'll be able to re-implement that all as scripts.

I think the closest we could get to modding is going open source on the GM freeware code, which is something we've been talking about doing once the full is chugging along and people are playing it. A big problem with that is the sheer complexity of the game's systems - roguelikes aren't easy to mess with and keep stable, neither is procedural generation.
dislekcia

Postby TheLogan on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Ah, ok, I do believe though that the benefits (for you as well as for the players) would outweigh the extra work =)
TheLogan

Postby Fenriel on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:23 pm

I just recently found out about Desktop Dungeons, and I think it's an AMAZING concept.
Too bad I missed the E3 demo, but the freeware version is still taking away hours of my life.

My question is: I know you probably have people already working on it, but I was wondering if you needed a helping hand with the Italian translation of the game (multiple languages is always a nice thing by the way, especially when releasing on Steam).
I think I could do a pretty good job, and all I'd ask for is a mention in the credits ^_^

EDIT: sent a more detailed e-mail
Last edited by Fenriel on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenriel

Postby zeemeerman2 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Most of the questions are answered by now, it seems...
So, let's broaden the subject a bit:
  • What does QCF stand for?
  • QCF Design, will you take a group photo of everyone in the team and post it on the front page of QCF Design once Desktop Dungeons is released?
  • Super Meat Boy has a list of characters from other indie games in their unlocking table. Other than (Super) Meat Man, will Desktop Dungeons feature any other indie game characters or parodies from their characters? I think asking permission to other indie game companies allowing use of their character is a tad easier than big commercial companies' characters like Mario or Cloud Strife.
  • To end, a simple question: who does the epic Desktop Dungeons soundtrack? I can't stop listening to it! :mrgreen:
zeemeerman2

Postby TheLogan on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:50 pm

@zeemeerman2 i can tell you that the goo blob is gish, dont think any of the others are from other games (not games i recognize atleast), though goo blobs boss version tower of goo, is a reference to 2D boys tech demo, that they made before making world of goo (you can find it for free on the net)
TheLogan

Postby 232 on Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:16 am

Also I seem to remember Gharbad the- Whoah! being a reference to the goat-man Gharbad the Weak from Diablo, who was known for being an especially pitiful boss. (Maybe the Iron Man is another reference, or is that too obvious?)

Postby TheLastBaron on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:16 pm

zeemeerman2 wrote:Most of the questions are answered by now, it seems...
So, let's broaden the subject a bit:
  • What does QCF stand for?

Quarter Circle Forward, its what the arrows in the logo represent too. It's a fighting game thing, for example QCF + P(punch) is how you do Ryu's Hadouken in Street Fighter
TheLastBaron

Postby bkteer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:09 am

will we be able to set up a countdown timer on when the eta of the beta is? Gives us something to look forward to :)
bkteer

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:19 pm

zeemeerman2 wrote:What does QCF stand for?

Yup, Quarter Circle Forward, just like above. Except instead of punch, it's a QCF + game design, so we throw cool games at people...

zeemeerman2 wrote:QCF Design, will you take a group photo of everyone in the team and post it on the front page of QCF Design once Desktop Dungeons is released?

That seems like a good idea. I'd like to get the whole team in one spot...

zeemeerman2 wrote:Super Meat Boy has a list of characters from other indie games in their unlocking table. Other than (Super) Meat Man, will Desktop Dungeons feature any other indie game characters or parodies from their characters? I think asking permission to other indie game companies allowing use of their character is a tad easier than big commercial companies' characters like Mario or Cloud Strife.

We do shoutouts when we feel we can. If anyone doesn't like them, we take them back out. SMB is a special case - we asked Edmund and Tommy if they were okay with the reference backstage at the IGF awards, right after we won ;)

zeemeerman2 wrote:To end, a simple question: who does the epic Desktop Dungeons soundtrack? I can't stop listening to it! :mrgreen:

Oh, you have no idea of what's coming. It's going to be pretty damn awesome!
dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:20 pm

bkteer wrote:will we be able to set up a countdown timer on when the eta of the beta is? Gives us something to look forward to :)

I might be able to do something like that, but I'm paranoid about testing... There's really so much game to test that I know something's going to break as the timer is on 5 minutes or whatever and then everyone's going to lynch us :(
dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons