[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Exclusive Subletting

Exclusive Subletting

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Exclusive Subletting

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 am

@Joist: Coupd you explain what you mean by poison stacking with burning? If you meant that you fireballed and then hit, poisoning with your venom blade. If the burning didn't discharge, you had Whurrgaburgl in your inventory also.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:38 am

@Avatar: Ah, I should have been more specific. I thought that APHEELSIK used to discharge the burning when cast on a mob. Did I imagine that?

edit: I mean, I always assumed that when you poisoned something with APHEELSIK it set off the burning, that'd stop you from building up 20 burning AND preventing the enemy from healing at the same time. Together they seem too powerful, you can do stuff like this

:D
Joist

Postby franz on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:08 pm

I think that you went the wrong direction to encourage fighting and discourage exploration, with overall less XP around you encourage people to seek out even more the highest level-lowest life monsters more than before. If you really want to discourage early exploration you should have a substantial xp bonus that decreases the higher the level difference is, thus encouraging killing monsters 1-2 levels higher at most and use as little tiles as possible.
This makes little sense from a flavour point of view and I think it would require some major rebalance, but it's the only way I see to tilt the balance from exploration to combat.

EDIT: as a visual reference, your current (speculated) xp formula looks like an exponential curve, I think it should look like a decreasing marginal utility one.
franz

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Nice, I've used burning for extreme kills, but I've never had the chance to do it with APHEELSIK. Demonic Library would be a cakewalk.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Joist on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Well, there's VHoS. I'm confident if I got a bit luckier with the dungeon loot I could get a Indomitable/Blahblah only run. Prepping the shield is very nice indeed, once you break Indomitable enough he does 3 damage, with the shield that's one damage. 1 health per Death Protection is sweet.

Since you can't poison BlahBlah just explore all the map while killing Indomitable. On BlahBlah use all your pots and money. Since I rocket to level 6 there's plenty of popcorn I can 1-hit kill as assassin but it's mostly magic enemies so I had to convert out of MA to TT.

I prepped piercing wand but I think crystal ball may be better or even conversion doodad. You *need* to get rid of the resists from prepping MA though since missing a single APHEELSIK will hurt you a lot.

edit: and there's the library.

I'd be tempted to take the burning sword instead of piercing wand next time so that I wouldn't break burning using schadenfreud pots on the Avatar.

Joist

Postby Darvin on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Darvin

Postby franz on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 pm

franz

Postby Darvin on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 pm

That's true...

And DL isn't hard. You shouldn't even need to kill any monsters. Same with VHoS.

The Avatar

Postby unentschieden on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Equal level should give bonus XP since you are forced to expend resources or leverage an advantage to beat them. The old system had a very heavy bias against equal level monsterkilling. It should be a more viable option imho.
unentschieden

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons