How much more will be added?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby Joist on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm

gjaustin wrote:
Joist wrote:What language are you guys using in unity? Can unity load a script from an external file? If so you could expose some basic functions and callbacks to a "level script" which handles level creation and gets event callbacks on attacks, exploration etc.


I think they're doing C#. Based on the callstacks from the error messages, it definitely looks to me like a .NET language.

A major problem with mod support is that the Unity plug-in and iOS versions likely won't be allowed out of their sandboxes to access any files that easily. Even if they do add support, there's a decent chance it would only work on the PC/Mac and Android versions.


Hmm, can Unity pull a text file from the web? Theoretically you should be able to read in a javascript plaintext file and "eval" it. Can unity mix C# and javascript?
Joist
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby gjaustin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't think so.

The player may have enough access to open an upload window though. I know browsers will allow an HTML page to upload a file as long the browser handles the actual file access. Unity may have something similar, which would allow you to "upload" an XML file each time you play to load mods.
gjaustin
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 am

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby Joist on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:41 pm

So, unity can load arbitrary URLs and, if I'm reading this right, it's only sandboxed in the webplayer.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... e/WWW.html

I think running arbitrary javascript would be a quick and simple way to get pretty good scripting.
Joist
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby gjaustin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm

Joist wrote:So, unity can load arbitrary URLs and, if I'm reading this right, it's only sandboxed in the webplayer.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... e/WWW.html

I think running arbitrary javascript would be a quick and simple way to get pretty good scripting.


Yep, looks like you're reading that right.

So if they allowed people to upload mods to their servers, even the Web Player would be able to pull down those files. I imagine iOS would be allowed to do that as well.
gjaustin
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 am

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby dislekcia on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Ok, I'm going to stop talking about modding.

Sorry, but the workload involved is enormous and there's no way we can pull that off AND still hope to release the game in any kind of non-insane timeframe. Plus everyone gets entirely the wrong ideas about modding - loading an external script wouldn't help you in the slightest.

I think the TLDR is that every time there's something you think would be simple and easy to do? It's not. Not in a complex emergent game. Sorry.
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 1715
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby gjaustin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:02 pm

dislekcia wrote:Ok, I'm going to stop talking about modding.

Sorry, but the workload involved is enormous and there's no way we can pull that off AND still hope to release the game in any kind of non-insane timeframe. Plus everyone gets entirely the wrong ideas about modding - loading an external script wouldn't help you in the slightest.

I think the TLDR is that every time there's something you think would be simple and easy to do? It's not. Not in a complex emergent game. Sorry.


No worries. I *think* we were just discussing possible ways to bypass the Unity sandbox to allow access to a hypothetical file that contains all the information for the mod. Or, at least that's what I was discussing.

I was serious about suggesting Kickstarter though - for after the release.
gjaustin
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 am

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby harfatum on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Modding for DD2: The Desktoppening, then.
Have a mug of tea.
User avatar
harfatum
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby The Avatar on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:18 pm

I was assuming it would be a DLC thing or a random news update after the game comes out.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
User avatar
The Avatar
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Location: Demonic Library

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby Picotrain on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:01 am

dislekcia wrote:If we do manage to figure out how to do mod support, you do all realise that we expect everything to be balanced perfectly after an afternoon, right?

Things that are still going to be added:
Awesome Kingdom graphics.
More detailed map graphics.
More sub-dungeons.
More challenge dungeons.
More puzzles.
More sounds.
Music.
More quests (depending on time we have left).
The Special Edition content.


Just looking at the list of features that you expect to add, it seems that sub-dungeons and challenge dungeons, in addition to the game balancing, seem to be the focus of the last four (or more) updates. I'm just wondering what the estimated timeframe for the updated graphics is. It seems like something that will be time-consuming to do (perhaps even more than the addition of new dungeons and quests).
Picotrain
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Re: How much more will be added?

Postby dislekcia on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Picotrain wrote:Just looking at the list of features that you expect to add, it seems that sub-dungeons and challenge dungeons, in addition to the game balancing, seem to be the focus of the last four (or more) updates. I'm just wondering what the estimated timeframe for the updated graphics is. It seems like something that will be time-consuming to do (perhaps even more than the addition of new dungeons and quests).


The graphics are being worked at the same time, graphics updates just take longer and can't be released piecemeal. It's not like our artists are working on challenge dungeons ;)
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 1715
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron