Monk(y) Island

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk(y) Island

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:06 am

Bloggorus wrote:I honestly don't see the difference between this and scumming for an initial glyph.

You might not, but 99% of players don't scum for specific glyphs. It would be a large game changer for the general populi.

In my opinion, but I'm just one guy :D
Joist

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:16 am

I suppose you're right- I've just been bashing my head against vicious dungeons for a bit and all i've wanted is a choice of glyph.

I feel it could be implemented though, especially with a drawback system similar to the gods.

Come to think of it, the gods and the swap glyphs are my favourite because they give with one hand and take with the other.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:04 pm

I would added it just to The beta if not just to root out exploits
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 pm

The Avatar wrote:I would added it just to The beta if not just to root out exploits

that is an excellent excuse for it.
Bloggorus

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:15 pm

if anyone wanted proof that the rolls for monsters and glyphs at the beginning of dungeons have changed, check this out...

Yeah, it's definitely gone too far in an extreme now, back to the feeling of DD alpha where you were often boxed in at the start. Makes early ENDISWAL or WEYTWUT (or Binlor or Jehora...) finds way too valuable.
Darvin

Postby Mister Bile on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Yeah, things get a wee bit squeezed lately. *Especially* on already claustrophobic maps.

As for glyph lockers... I can see how they might not want people to just start with certain glyphs when certain classes are built around "We start with this one glyph!" Then again, like Bloggorus said, some of the vicious dungeons seem to *require* scumming for one of the right glyphs... to the point that I wish a big "GAME OVER" logo appeared the moment I tried a Rogue attempt on the Dragon Isles when CYDSTEPP isn't present. And also, we already have a lockerable fireball, what's one or two or twelve more?
Mister Bile

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:19 pm

to the point that I wish a big "GAME OVER" logo appeared the moment I tried a Rogue attempt on the Dragon Isles when CYDSTEPP isn't present.

Try bringing the alchemist's scroll and looking for an altar of Jehora Jeheyu. Rogues don't need to be fragile :twisted:

As for glyph lockers... I can see how they might not want people to just start with certain glyphs when certain classes are built around "We start with this one glyph!"

And these classes would have the advantage of being able to start with a two-glyph combo. In any case, both Assassin and Warlord are top-level classes and I sincerely doubt breaking their hegemony on their respective glyphs will change anything, while Paladin and Bloodmage will likely be seeing considerable revision in the future.
Darvin

Postby Mister Bile on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Darvin wrote:Rogues don't need to be fragile :twisted:

What?! Heresy! :?
Mister Bile

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 pm

If not a glyph locker, at least an option to guarantee a spawn of a glyph somewhere.It doesnt have to be on top of the player, just somewhere on the level so you can go for unique acheivements and badges with certain strategies without having to start again over and over.

And i imagined glyph lockers as having certain disadvantages, like a lost inventory slot, increased mana cost for the lockers glyph, lower conversion value or magic res. for all monsters.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 am

DON'T GIVE THE DEVS IDEAS! Anyways, that'd be mean. You don't have a penalty for the adventuring locker.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons