[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Class Challenges List

Class Challenges List

All things Desktop Dungeons

Class Challenges List

Postby joek0 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46 am

Can we post the Class Challenges here. Class challenges are replayable, but do not give the description and instead says "challenge completed". It is good to have descriptions for all the available class challenges.
joek0

Re: Class Challenges List

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:28 am

Fighter Bronze:
This level is filled with level 1 goats and exactly ONE Gorgon each for levels 2-8. The boss is level 8 Medusa. The only glyphs on this level are IMAWAL and WONAFYT, which exist in multiples. Goblin is my recommended race; level-up catapult this one.

Berserker Bronze:
This dungeon has exactly one glyph, BURNDAYRAZ. Straightforward dungeon; level up and slaughter a magic-damage boss with everyone's favourite spellcaster slaughtering class. Halfling is probably your best race choice, since you've only got 100 conversion points coming to you.

Warlord Bronze:
Terror's End; defeat Bleaty with the Warlord. There are no glyphs on this level, but every health potion on the ground has been replaced with a mana potion. Be mindful; the Gorgons have 100% death gaze. Race is irrelevant, since there's nothing available to convert.

Rogue Bronze:
A maze-like dungeon containing two bandit bosses. The dungeon contains the WEYTWUT, PISORF, and ENDISWAL glyphs. Very straightforward if you use these glyphs intelligently. Dwarf is your best race choice, though this level is so ridiculously easy you should be able to nab hoarder without breaking a sweat.

Assassin Bronze:
A wickedly powerful boss awaits you in this dungeon, with 75% both resists, enormous damage, and awe-inspiring hit points. And to think, he's only level 7! Imagine if he were level 10; he might be able to resist your swift hands. Reach level 8 and one-hit him. There's a 300-conversion point item in your inventory at the start of the level, so if you play as goblin it's pretty much impossible to lose. The only glyphs available are BYSSEPS and IMAWAL, in addition to your starter APHEELSIK glyph.

Priest Bronze:
A funny little level filled with undead. The boss is not undead, but there's a funny dog lying around the dungeon somewhere. Wonder what would happen if that dog gave the boss a little nip. Another straightforward level. You'll find a GETINDARE glyph in there.

Monk Bronze:
You'll find the BYSSEPS and the LEMMISI glyph on this level, and mostly physical attackers, with a Super Meat Man boss. Straightforward exercise for the Monk. Your choice of Human or Orc.

Monk Silver/Gold:
Way of the Fist quest

Sorcerer Bronze:
Goo Blob quest, apparently unchanged.

Bloodmage Bronze:
You must seek out and kill other members on your race in order to become a bloodmage, gaining class features as you go. Only glyph on the level is BURNDAYRAZ. The inability to convert stuff means you can't combo off of dwarf or elf to make good use of BLUDTUPOWA or sanguine. Unless there are some high-level wraiths you wanna do some burning antics on, you can probably just convert B2P when you get it, and save sanguine for the final boss. Just brute force the level; it's not hard if you can reach level 3 or 4 early, Key is finding BURNDAYRAZ early since you're basically a nobody until you get a little momentum...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:06 am

Also, abuse the blood snakes, as they're no EXP spawns drop blood pools!

The priest one also spawns ENDISWALL, BICEPS, and something else, I think.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby joek0 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:08 am

Thanks! I realize that some of these are older quests from before with changes to some. That is why I have some of them completed.
joek0

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I just confirmed the assassin challenge is beatable as a Goblin with swift hands and conversion alone. Just convert stuff and then swift hands everything lower-level than you, and you'll reach level 8 easily. The 300 conversion point contract should just be removed; even going for hoarder it's still the easiest of these challenge levels.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:00 pm

gjaustin

Postby Fran on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:26 pm

This proposal somehow makes me a little angry.

I don't really see why it should be necessary to remove the contract. By the time you unlock the challenge, there is absolutely no guarantee that you have unlocked the goblin at all.
Also, the lesson you're supposed to learn is how swift hands works and that it works in your favor. And you get reminded that the only way of destroying an item is by converting it; you can't place it on the ground.

When going for the cheapness-argument, I don't see how this is cheaper than slaughtering the matrons guards on dragon isle. Also, it's not like you couldn't do this on hobblers hold by playing conversion heavy in the beginning.

What is wrong about being a bit overpowered for once? The game is hard enough for new players, at least leave them the bronze challenge for a little fun. There is still silver and gold to have a real challenge.

EDIT:
I just used a human and used no bonus experience. In the end, I got to LVL 7. That's reasonable in my opinion.
Last edited by Fran on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran

Postby q 3 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Maybe replace it with a "one free level up" item (a la Chaos Avatar)? Would do the same trick even for non-goblins and teach a valuable lesson about timing your level ups (hint: don't use it at level 1).
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:54 pm

That seems like a good idea, at least better than 300 CP. Also, I had the most trouble with fighter bronze. It seemed much harder than the rest, although it would probably be easier with a goblin than with a human.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Definitely do Fighter Bronze as a Goblin, if it's available. The level has a normal number of glyphs that are useless for combat purposes, and vastly reduced XP availability, so Goblin XP bonus will blow any other racial bonuses out of the water.

The key issue I have with Assassin Bronze is that it's a very easy mission even without Goblin, and that race just turns the level into a joke. It goes beyond easy, you literally just have to point and click. Even Rogue Bronze at very least requires you to string together basic glyph combos to trivialize it.

Now, I would like to see that Troll boss appear in one of the gold-difficulty challenges for a different class. Buffed up with kick-ass items, glyphs, lots of conversion points, a good deity for the job, and that impossible engine of destruction should be entirely beatable.

I'd also like to see challenge dungeons for the Crusader, Tinker, and (whenever we get a final version of him) Transmuter.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons