[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Glowing Guadian

The Glowing Guadian

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Glowing Guadian

Postby Gorgon on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Well, I actually like the way the devs made GG. I just think there are very few ways to get piety, so if he gets more reliable ways to get piety and some cost rebalancing for his boons, it would be perfect (in my opinion).
Gorgon

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm

I disagree; using humility and absolution guarantees you will take massive piety losses with GG, so they will need to fundamentally overhaul either his piety gain mechanism or his boon effects. There's no either-or, right now his boons force you to attack higher-level monsters and his piety structure forbids it. This means the only sensible way to use him is to get your boons and convert out immediately; sticking with him is foolish.

I'd also add that his old hatred of killing low-level monsters was much more interesting and gave him deeper personality. Now he's a deity who hates bravery and courage and wants you to smack down weaklings; he's just a miserly Tikki Tooki.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 am

With a glowing beard. I think Darvin's piety system is better. Sure it might need a few tweaks, but it looks better in the long run.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue May 15, 2012 2:48 pm

I thought I'd give this a kick, since I haven't really played much since the GG change and a restoration of the old GG is one of my most desired changes.

I've played around with the new GG, and he kind of works, but in a really weird way. You basically just ignore his strictures against fighting higher level foes and go for the biggest catapults that you can find. This minimizes the amount of piety you lose per level. He seems to want you to only fight weaklings, but there is no boon in the game that is strong enough to compensate for the massive loss of xp that would entail.

I also really, really hate the new theme for GG, and really miss the old "heroic redemption" theme. It was fun. It was a type of heroism that you don't normally see in fantasy games. GG didn't want you to fight unless you couldn't help it, cared about the lives of even the evil monsters, and wanted you to solve conflicts on your own resources. The new GG is a self-righteous coward, basically a Tikki Tokki without the humor and charm.

I don't think swapping GG's piety structure but leaving his boons alone really worked. The tension between Humility/Absolution and his strictures doesn't make any sense. Those boons used to play into his themes very well, but now it feels way off, like Taurog suddenly granting you mana in exchange for attack power, but still getting mad when you use magic. Enlightenment is now completely inaccessible and GG may as well have one less boon for all the good it's going to do the player.

I think the old GG could have worked, he just needed his piety income toned down and there needed to be an on worship effect so that he isn't for 1st level characters only.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 15, 2012 7:47 pm

I liked the old GG too. The main problem was his theme was divided to be long term, while his Boons were front loaded. Enlightenement was a bad desicion. I think remaking Enlightenment or seriously buffing it could work, as long as it isn't too broken.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Enlightenment is a permanent boon that comes too late for you to leverage it over the long-run. It's going to be difficult to balance if the devs are determined to keep it at 100 piety.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Tue May 15, 2012 8:47 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue May 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Stick with GG a little while, and he's like Taurog with useful boons.

3 piety for your first levelup, 6 for your next, then 9, then 12, then 15, and so on. If you can convert a few items to give yourself some wiggle room early (APHEELSIK or BLUDTUPOWA will make it a cakewalk) you'll be rolling in piety before long.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Yeah, but I still can't stand his theme. I want my old GG back! While he kind of works right now, he really shouldn't stay this way.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons