[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Glowing Guadian

The Glowing Guadian

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Glowing Guadian

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 am

Something needs to be done about the GG. While he was overpowered in his old incarnation, in his new incarnation he's suicidal to worship and only kept aloft by the fact that his best boons are inexplicably priced at pocket-change levels, allowing you to purchase them and still have enough piety to convert out just using sparkles and an altar desecration. Furthermore, the new GG has lost his old unique flavor; the prohibition on killing weak monsters was something unique that set him apart from other deities.

I'm going to kick off the discussion with a proposal:

Piety
* Restore the glowing guardian's hatred of killing low-level monsters.
* Make the Glowing Guardian grant piety for killing equal-level or higher-level monsters. The piety earned is based on your current level; a level 1 character earns 1 piety, while a level 10 character earns 10 piety.
* Grants starting piety equal to the number of visible XP-granting monsters that are lower-level than you

You would maximize piety gain with this new GG by fighting equal-level monsters. He's got nothing against fighting higher level monsters and earning bonus XP, but doing so will cause you to level up faster and miss out on all the piety you could have earned by fighting more monsters when you were a lower level. This captures the intent of the devs - creating a dissonance between bonus XP and piety gain with GG - without actually crippling the player outright.

As well, it means the piety sweet spot with GG will be more around level 5 or 6, so combined with the starting piety you can begin worship later more sensibly. As well, lower-level monsters are a piety liability with GG, and the more of them there are the less likely you'd want to join this religion, so it makes sense to grant piety based on how many of them are left.

Boons
* Raise the piety cost of humility and absolution (I'd say 20 / 40 respectively)
* Make cleansing remove all corrosion/weakening OR remove increasing cost
* Improve the enlightenment boon or reduce its cost

Anyways, that's my opinion on what should be done, but this is an open discussion. What do you guys think should be done with the GG?
Darvin

Re: The Glowing Guadian

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:38 am

This is actually a great idea. The current incarnation feels like it has been warped out of anything thematic or consistent. Everything you do in the game seems to punish you without warning.

I would add a piety punishment instead of the major punishment we have now. Accidentally downing a potion and getting smacked in the face feels arbitrary.

I always imagined GG as a good choice as a long-term god like mystera or binlor, the current harsh piety system makes me afraid to stick with him
Bloggorus

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 am

Also, this incarnation is genuinely unique as far as gods go with the focus on equal level monsters
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:52 am

I agree on all of this, especially your new piety system and enlightenment. A 100 piety boon is cool, especially for a mean god like GG. Right now I'd make it no more than 80.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:07 am

I'm fine with GG having a 100 piety cost boon, but it has to be worth 100 piety. I'd agree that 80 would be a high-end number for the current Enlightenment. Probably 50-60 would be more reasonable given its level of strength.

Personally, I'd prefer to turn Enlightenment into a super-power / shackle. Buff the snot out of that boon, make it the most powerful boon in the game by a ridiculous margin, and then take away the ability to convert. No potions, no popcorn, just straight heroism and whatever protections you can afford.
Darvin

Postby Incompetent on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 am

Does GG give piety for weakening and corrosion, like he does for poison and mana burn? If not, why not? Also, he could give a bit of piety for 'bravery' based on taking a heavy hit (one that strips off more than half your max HP in one go, say). I want to see a real god of self-flagellation :lol:
Incompetent

Postby harfatum on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Wouldn't that give a huge amount of piety? Maybe it would be better to simply only give piety for equal-level kills.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Fran on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Fran

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Now let's hope the devs will implement it!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons