[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Faith Burns Bright

Faith Burns Bright

All things Desktop Dungeons

Faith Burns Bright

Postby GoatBot on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 am

Discussion - Faith Burns Bright
GoatBot

Re: Faith Burns Bright

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Does anyone know how much lower-resists bandits have now? And what is the reward for Yin Yang?
Gorgon

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Bandits are 5%; Tomithy is 50%.

Ying/Yang gives you two special swords. Each grant +4 attack like a fine sword, but can be consumed for a layer of death protection like a badge of courage. Given that Ying/Yang is basically only completable by high-level characters, this is a pretty lackluster reward for most situations. If you can find a way to defeat them without taking too much damage it could be worthwhile, and if you desperately need death protection then it's fine, but otherwise too much effort for too little gain.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:29 pm

I like the sound of the Paladin and Bloodmage changes.

I'm not liking no exploration subdungeons though. They really need to either all have the same amount of exploration or no exploration at all.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:39 pm

They don't have to be the same, but they do need to offer similar levels of opportunity. If there's no exploration, they need to offer proportionally higher benefits in other respects. If you have to fight to earn your reward, then that reward needs to be all the more valuable. Given that the default case is mothers for happier dungeoneers (25 tiles exploration, a free potion, and a little gold) a subdungeon like ying/yang would need to offer a treasure trove of powerful items with value in about the range of 100 GP. That's probably well outside of the comfort zone of the devs.

The problem I have with Ying/Yang, and all the current subdungeons that offer no exploration but still expect you to partake in combat, is that on any scenario where I actually need the reward I don't have enough resources to spare to pursue it. This makes the subdungeon entirely useless, something that causes me to just turn around and leave the moment I see it.

I'd say making Ying/Yang unexplored would probably make it fine in its current incarnation.
Darvin

Postby Fran on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Yeah, new challenges are pretty fun as well :)
Although it still bothers me that I can't read the flavor text after completion.
Fran

Postby xspeedballx on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Interesting bug on the webpage, I tried to click the play button when I was viewing the news post about the patch. It gave me a page not found. When I went to the main desktopdungeons.net it worked just fine.
xspeedballx

Postby harfatum on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby xspeedballx on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 pm

I am confused by the "God's don't punish", I worshipped Taurog, and he took away piety for casting spells, punished me for converting, GG punished me for desecrating. Where I am supposed to be seeing benefits(I could be being thick)
xspeedballx

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons