Faith Burns Bright

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Faith Burns Bright

Postby unentschieden on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 pm

It´s really a shame how even a constructed enviroment like the Paladin challenge doesn´t make GG attractive. It´d be easier without GG (like anything else) but they outright force you to take him. It should be constructed in a way that the only way to beat the boss would be to get GGs best boon but instead it´s a demonstration of the ways GG screws you over.
He can cure me of afflictions? Well I´d be able to avoid them if taking them wasn´t how you get piety with him. He gives plenty +HP? Yeah if you sacrifice XP/levelups. He can heal and restore MP? Less than the potions I´m not allowed to drink!

Sigh, yeah I´m ranting but I really expected the bronze challenge to be an effort in demonstrating GGs good points. But even (or rather especially due to the lack of conversion) with the "Religion-abuse" class he isn´t a good choice.
unentschieden

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:31 pm

GG's not awful, he just has a bad piety gain system.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:29 am

Paladin Bronze works out fine because the undead are so prolific and the snake is the only monster he'll punish you for using to gain bonus XP. Totally manageable. However, outside of extreme undead scenarios he still sucks for anyone other than a Paladin.
Darvin

Postby unentschieden on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:17 am

My objection in this case is that you win the challenge despite, not because of GG. The other bronze challenges are overall tests if you get the "point" of the class in question.
While the Paladin is a very "general" class the gods aren´t. It´s fine if the Paladin challenges double as god testbed. But even under "ideal" conditions like the challenge provides GG is more of an obstruction than an advantage. It says a lot that you are forced to worship GG due to the boss gimmick - otherwise you might be able to skip worship. It´d probably be easier!

My point is, if there is ANY scenario GG is good, nay needed in then it should be the Paladin+GG challenge. His "boons" are about migitating his punishing piety setup rather than something to be leveraged. I´d readily accept that I might not "get" GG but in that case I should have failed the challenge.

GGs key issue is that he is defined by his punishments. Unlike any other god you need to think about what you do for him rather than what he does for you. His boons are good? Not good enough to create a scenario in which you use them well and win or ignore them and fail. It´s instead a situation in which you have to deal with his system until you can push the "boss is now beatable" button.
Last edited by unentschieden on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
unentschieden

Postby Mister Bile on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:21 am

I saw the paladin's dungeon more like a best case scenario for the GG. You have some fun, you do some damage, and you don't even *have* to get the final boon to win. “What if the undead were everywhere and there was nothing worth buying?” it asks, and you answer “Well, then we'd be bestest buddies!”

Of course, then you get back to the regular Glowing Guardian situation, where the food is terrible, and in such small portions.

Ah well. It was a nice dream while it lasted. Kind of like the Bloodmage's bronze showing you a world where spawning monsters left bloodpools....
Mister Bile

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 pm

I loved those blood snakes. I'm going to hate the other paladin challenges, assuming everything won't be undead.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Probably the other paladin challenges will center around other deities. It shouldn't be GG only the full way through.

Probably Dracul and Tikki Tooki should be the silver and gold challenge respectively...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Drac will be sweet! Just drain all your piety into bloodswells for the boss, and then throw down all your potions after the aforementioned healing.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:21 pm

So nobody's figured out the new burnt offering rules then yet, I assume?
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:54 pm

I still don't know what burnt offering is. It must be too obscure in that case. Is it fireballing lower level enemies?

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons