Class Challenges

All things Desktop Dungeons

Class Challenges

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Okay, just a few things on class challenges:

1. They're awesome.
2. The monk silver and gold ones are far too hard in comparison to the bloodmage silver and gold ones.
3. The silver and gold ones have too many discrepancies. Can we make all challenges so bronze is purist faithless with preset glyphs, Silver adds preset gods, they actually already do if you look at them, and gold is a normal game except the preset gods.
4. For the silver and gold challenges: PLEASE DON'T COPY EXISTING DUNGEONS! One of the main reasons I like the challenges is they're all unique and unlike all other dungeons. Taking Ick Swamp and pasting in a meat man with weakening as a boss should not be a challenge. They can be similar, like making it old Ick instead of new Ick, but please don't copy.

Please post on my opinions, I'd love some agreements or arguments.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Re: Class Challenges

Postby Gorgon on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I agree with not copying existing dungeons. The only reason I play them is because they're different ;)

And also add some originality to some challenges (like monk silver, which is basically Ick Swamp with a Meat Man that has weakening).
Gorgon

Postby Kevin on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Chalk me up for total agreement. Wish I had something to add, but that about covers it.
Kevin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Well, hopefully since we all agree on it the devs will implement it. Hopefully.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Fran on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:14 pm

The Avatar wrote:1. They're awesome.
2. The monk silver and gold ones are far too hard in comparison to the bloodmage silver and gold ones.
3. The silver and gold ones have too many discrepancies. Can we make all challenges so bronze is purist faithless with preset glyphs, Silver adds preset gods, they actually already do if you look at them, and gold is a normal game except the preset gods.
4. For the silver and gold challenges: PLEASE DON'T COPY EXISTING DUNGEONS! One of the main reasons I like the challenges is they're all unique and unlike all other dungeons. Taking Ick Swamp and pasting in a meat man with weakening as a boss should not be a challenge. They can be similar, like making it old Ick instead of new Ick, but please don't copy.

Total agreement here.
Haven't tried the silver/gold ones yet, so the following is the concept I'd like to see in general and no evaluation.
I'd like to see all challenge levels being purist. That besides, it's pretty hard to make the challenges homogeneous regarding glyphs and/or gods. The Paladin is the only one having a Diety on his bronze lvl, so you already have to break the rule there. But that's a good thing in my opinion, I like that most bronze challenges feel unique because of things like that.
I've already stated this in another thread, but I think it may be best being forced into a preset helpful religion in the silver challenge and a preset stressful religion in the gold challenge, without being able to change dieties, if you want to bring dieties around. Where this is not applicable, you could always use devices like cursed items or auras or something that impose those new rules. Having positive and negative examples how your abilities synergize and how not may help you understand them the best. Being able to cope with conflicting ressources/situations is a key component of the game, after all.
Although I'd also like to see new maps, you have to consider the cost/value ratio such maps have to development:
This is content that the player propably spends very limited time on (looking through all sorts of gamers, for most only as long as it takes to comple it plus a few runs for the medals for a couple ambitious players) but takes the same time to make as a map that is available on the worldmap and therefore much more replayable (all classes, so about 18 times as much).
This perspective in mind, playing old maps is ok for me, but there should be extra rules imposed that change the gameplay in a way you can't achieve while playing the map normaly. Again, I'd like to see that in form of special preset buffs/dieties/items that force you to think around your class features without being able to get rid of them.
The witch questline was alike something I'd like to see for the gold challenges, although in a more balanced and doable way once you've understood the key concept.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:35 pm

By saying don't copy I'm more saying make minor edits. Or make a new dungeon. For an example: For monk silver taking away some of the plants and adding a meat monster that does weakening, similar to the boss, would be good enough for me.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Slimeria on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:55 am

Tell me about the Monk silver/gold! AAAA.
Earlier, failing the monk silver would still say you beat the challenge, which was a bug. I'm almost positive I should have unlocked Ick Swamp (I've already unlocked the Hex ruins bunch), so I thought that maybe that it had something to do with the monk silver bug. Trying to remedy it on my own, I thought it might fix itself if I went back and beat monk silver.

I may never know the answer. That challenge is REALLY, REALLY hard.
Slimeria

Postby Joist on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm pretty sure the monk quests only unlock the martyr wraps, no dungeons. Ick swamp has some other requirement IIRC. Let me do some googling.

Ok, go back to Hexx ruins and try to find a special subdungeon : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1815

Oh, and on Monk silver, the easy way is scumming for JJ and Pactmaker, taking body pact and getting 75% resist. I happened to document a run of my own on the old monk silver. Not sure if the new one is easier or harder, but one boss-guaranteed physical damage sounds easier https://imgur.com/a/lNLlk
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:59 pm

New one is harder. THe meat man does more than Itsssama and has waaaaay more hp. And weakening.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Slimeria on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks, Joist. That threw me off; it was an odd little requirement, and the naga tail was the last trophy I needed.
I still haven't been able to beat wharbgarbllheimer, though. That guy is a jerk.
Slimeria

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons