Please release the monster classes. They want to be free...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Please release the monster classes. They want to be free

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 am

Joist wrote:@Bloggorus: Can you try this one? http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDu ... agon_Isles

I'd like to use you as a guinea pig because of your self professed trouble with vicious dungeons.

@Joist: Ding! Demonic complete. Trying the dragon isles one now.

Looks like your strategy worked.I even forgot about Whupaz, and forgot that you cant buy multiple potions of the same kind anymore and had to roll with about six layers of weakening. Made it comfortably.

Looks like I will have to eat my words over the impossibility of Vicious dungeons.

It's worth noting that this kind of played looked and felt like an optimal version of how the warlord class is meant to be played.

I didn't feel this strategy was an exploit as much as a result of preparations multiplying the effects of the class many times. This is a complex strategy, but it is valid.

But my original point still stands; the game ramps up to this kind of complexity, and the endgame provides no incentive for more casual play aside from badges.

I would like to see end game content incorporate the existing normal and hard dungeons a lot more, such as setting 'unusual tasks' or putting handicaps on players.

Vicious dungeons can be inflexible, static and very boring after you've tried and failed four million times to complete them.
Bloggorus

Postby Joist on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:58 am

Bloggorus wrote:I would like to see end game content incorporate the existing normal and hard dungeons a lot more, such as setting 'unusual tasks' or putting handicaps on players.

I like that.

And yeah the vicious dungeons suck if you just bang your head against them. I've had much more success theorycrafting them instead of trying to luck out on mobs/altars etc.

On the Warlord note, the warlord is pretty much the only class that you'd use a gnome for. That sucks because the gnomes look badass imo.
Joist

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 am

Joist wrote:On the Warlord note, the warlord is pretty much the only class that you'd use a gnome for. That sucks because the gnomes look badass imo.

Agree. All we ever get these days is halfling priests.

The extremely talented artist who created all of those graphics must be mighty offended.
Bloggorus

Postby Joist on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 am

Halfling preist - Those eyes.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:13 am

Gnomes also work well for Sorcerers and Bloodmages.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 am

Especially for Bloodmages. Each potion gives you an extra 2% sanguine.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:38 am

The Avatar wrote:Especially for Bloodmages. Each potion gives you an extra 2% sanguine.

Wat. *I* suggested that here and *you* were the one that shot me down.
Joist

Postby dislekcia on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Joist wrote:
The Avatar wrote:Especially for Bloodmages. Each potion gives you an extra 2% sanguine.

That's been a feature of the Bloodmage for a while now... I didn't realise there was confusion.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 pm

I meant exactly what I said. I don't like them due to the aforementioned reasons, but I never said they were weak.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 pm

dislekcia wrote:
Joist wrote:

That's been a feature of the Bloodmage for a while now... I didn't realise there was confusion.

I guess I just missed that change. I never really liked the bloodmage so after I completed his old quests I never used him. The challenge changes brought him back into my field of vision.
Joist

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons