[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Postby Joist on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:10 pm

If you prep elite items it's more than likely that a 100 cp item will show up, either zot or yendor.

Honestly, I'm not sure of the maths but I remember being capped by my damage often with my vamp.

I'd still take the badge now, for the long term benefit. The shield helps early on but I just know there'd be a boss where I'd need to do slightly more damage and I'd regret it.
Joist

Postby Murdus on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Murdus

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Did you steal it? That halves its CP.

Actually, I haven't found the new golds too hard. The only really ones are Fighter, Paladin, and Wizard.

Also, I think Naga City and Demonic Library are both at the right level for Vicious once it is finalized.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I agree that Naga City seems a bit too easy now. I think adding the monsters was just a bit too much. The shops are great though!
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I agree. Especially, for Theives, where you effectively get 6 of each potion. Still, I had an easier time beating DL with all classes and badges than Naga City. Then again, that was before the changes.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:03 am

The Naga City will be adjusted again this week (has been adjusted already, actually, but that's just on my side).
Nandrew

Postby Fran on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:52 am

Nethertheless, I still can't manage to get 3 wins on Naga City. Hell, I don't even have a win on demonic library. I guess I really just suck at this game, even though I'd have to say that I don't have much time to practice. This may also be some psychological thing as I hate spellcasting classes and always try to win those dungeons almost exclusively with melee classes playing them as melee classes, whereas everybode here seems to fireball his way through those dungeons.
Also, I'm pretty relucant to converting as I always feel like this is wasted piety and can't seem to prioritize boons well.
So what I'm basically saying is that I suck at this game. Then again, I suck at this game although I read what you guys are doing all the time (although I hadn't time for any annoited playthroughs until now. I guess I should look into them before playing again). So maybe you shouldn't underestimate the difficulty of those dungeons when applied to the non-hardcore/not much freetime crowd when they try to figure it out themselves. It still says the game is for playing 10 minutes in your lunch break but I think this is hardly enough to build your skill for vicious fast enough. Then again I may be disqualified to talk about it in the first place because of a lack of experience/ I'm to narrow minded, but here is at least some feedback how the game can be experienced.

The ability to adjust the dungeons yourself would be nice. Something like a slider that increases the monsters stats as well as your payout by X%. So you have an incentive to make it harder yourself and you can test your limits, maybe with a record that displays your highest modifier you were able to beat. You have your challenge and I don't feel stupid for not being able to beat nerfed dungeons. Sounds nice in my head when I think about it.
Last edited by Fran on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:33 am

Which classes have you won with so far? I imagine you've pipped a victory with your favourite melee.

Naga City as it exists is actually rather difficult to balance and gods are a really, really big part of that, so if you're not, uh, very "deity literate" then you're going to struggle immensely. It's actually just a piety playground at this point and veterans will always find unexpected ways to exploit it.

The recent revisions have been about making this level less *extreme* (hence supporter monsters spawning, shops channeling a use for gold, etc), and extreme religion will probably be the next thing to go, once I'm sure that Naga City can survive without it.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 am

How exactly do you make extreme religion go away from Naga City? It was always all about it, sort of...

Although having acess to all the Gods (abeit in a cramped way) makes any level easy, or beatable. It even made Gaan'Telet beatable!
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 am

Nandrew

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons