[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:39 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 pm

@Nandrew

Sorry - wrong boon - meant absolution :lol: . My bad.

Definite novelty fact... -1% on your next conversion. Purist tinker runs can come up with some strange stuff... unless you desperately desperately need exactly two more small slots as a tinker I can't see any practical use for it.
Last edited by Blovski on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blovski

Postby Darvin on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Blovski

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:33 am

Tried something new, a dedicated damage reducer using the Earthmother prep. It's kind of janky, but it did let me beat Slime Pits as a Wizard, so it's not all bad.

The Setup:
Human Wizard
Platemail
Earthmother
Shield (yes, the one from the blacksmith)

Everything else is optional, but Smuggler's Den/Extra Gold, Extra Glyph, Translocation, Elite and the potion kit of your choice would all be fine compliments.

The idea is to stack DR to exploit SMM's low damage and beat him in a physical regen battle. Wizard lets you comfortably handle Tower of Goo and gets the most mileage out of Clearance of any class. Human grants you endgame melee power that is not significantly different from any other non-striker class.

The strategy tries to exploit the preparation penalty for Earthmother by turning it into an advantage. The extra plants are tolerable on an open map like Slime Pits. More importantly, they give more targets for IMAWAL and more fuel for Clearance. If the odd plant ends up blocking the odd chokepont, it's okay to chop it down. You'll have piety to burn by the end.

Basically, you want to brick plants whenever possible and catfight as hard as you can, reinvesting piety into Vine Form as you can. DR is outrageously strong at low levels, and you will be beating things so hard that you'll forget that you're a wizard. Avoid bricking monsters if you can help it. Not only does this cost you xp, but it also denies you an extra plant from Plantation.

Keep track of how many bloodpools you have. You don't want the number to get so high that you lose piety to overkill. If you have been catfighting with ENDISWAL, you should hit level 7 or so with very few kills, which is important. Midway through level 7, start fireballing Tower of Goo. Pop off Entanglement (preferably in the middle of a battle with a hard monster), and then harvest your popcorn to level up, and then invoke Plantation for massive piety and massive plants. Sometimes Plantation will cut off the path between ToG and the altar, so do this after you've emptied your mana, so that you can use Clearance without wasting potential mana. If you are still blocked, kill a plant or two, it'll be okay. Use Clearance and the odd mana potion to spike ToG to death. This would be the best time to use Schadenfraude if you have one.

Once ToG goes down you should at or near 9. Get your DR as high as you can with Vine Form and your remaining piety. With around 30 DR, you will be a beast. I started the fight with very little black space left and was shocked at how little I needed to win.

As much as I'd like to say that I've broken Earthmother, this is a highly specialized strat that relies on a specific boss combination and map terrain. It feels wonderfully perverse, because Slime Pits is usually frikin hard for Wizards, between SMM and all of the assorted meatmen and meatmen-related-food-products, but with high DR its more like playing a Monk without the damage penalty.
Last edited by Sidestepper on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidestepper

Postby Blovski on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Great and unusual strat : )
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Man, I gotta try that. It's awesome. Hmm... Comboed with a switch into Drac for life steal, swells, etc, and Naga City should be beatable.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks. The idea was largely inspired by Blovksi's health monster strat (which I just used successfully against Naga City, so thanks!). I realized that Glowing Guardian isn't the only health monster deity in the game, and that in certain cases, damage reduction is actually better than damage resistance. The result was a character with Monk-like resistances but without the attack penalty and with superdwarf-like health.

Not sure how well this will work when facing bosses with higher attacks. 30 DR against a 55 damage monster is great. It's marginal against things throwing out 90-100 damage. If you prepped Fire Heart and scummed for Platemail, you might be able to break it.

Conversion is definitely a possibility. In long scenarios, you can reach 100 piety with Earthmother twice, letting you go nuts with Vine Form (possiblly subbing in Greenblood as diminishing returns set in). After conversion, you can murder all of the plants right before leveling up. Dracul is the obvious choice, but Taurog might be good for the shield and extra melee efficiency.

A Dwarf Priest of Earthmother with Fire Heart + Platemail would be the most extreme version of this, I think. Hell, Priests are so good that you could probably do without Fire Heart. Priests really deserve more respect than they get.

All that being said, this only works in a few maps. In a maze, Earthmother will totally screw you.
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons