[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Postby Darvin on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO! Well, that actually won't much of a problem because you don't even need to win, just buy stuff out.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Joist

Postby DeAngelo on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:00 pm

DeAngelo

Postby Joist on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:17 pm

For the gods I would go with binlor, taurog or EM. Binlor is the best imo because his worship is very straightforward and you can prep him with little impact on your game. If you haven't found him yet you'll find him where you unlocked taurog.

Here's a list of god information: http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDu ... title=Gods

What's your kingdom looking like? Do you have the witch yet?

Human thief, the everyman. At first more items doesn't seem that great, but 1 more glyph is amazing tactically and if you choose to convert it then he gets +20% attack overall (1 from the glyph and 1 extra booster).
Halfling priest, health potion creation synergises with 100% effective health potions.
Gnome warlord is amazing. Try and find MA (god) and you can prep her with no hesitation since you'll be melee'ing.
Human Berserker for magic damage levels. Especially if the boss is magic.
Orcs got trashed this update so just avoid them :)

Dungeon tricks, well if you find WONAFYT early, spam it while exploring as slowed enemies give +1 experience. Same deal with WEYTWUT. IMAWAL as you said is great.

Regen fighting is where you attack an enemy then reveal some tiles then attack it again. Works very well if you have high resists and sometimes you do it to get a second attack in. For instance you have 11 mana so you cast 1 fireball, regen 1 tile then cast another. Now imagine the same thing with health, the enemy does 50% damage to you so you attack once, regen 1 tile so that the next attack won't kill you then attack again.

edit: Nice work on creeplight!

edt2: OH, POPCORN. Popcorn is where you don't kill low level enemies, instead you save them for later to get a controlled level. They are called popcorn because generally you go around killing all of them at once quite quickly.

A controlled level mid-fight for bosses can win you the dungeon because of the health/mana regen and stat boost.
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah, regen fighting, experience catapults, and mid-fight level ups are all you need. That and skill with the gods.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby DeAngelo on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna play some more later (I'd load it up now to show what my kingdom looks like but the game freezes my pc every time I load it up and I have something else running right now.)

I'll put these tips to work and let you know how I do later.
DeAngelo

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:52 pm

In terms of simplicity, Dracul and Glowing Guardian are the only two you really need to watch out for. Most other deities only have one or two penalized actions.

Earthmother: doesn't like lifesteal or killing plants
Binlor: "tolls" you 10 piety when you level up
Taurog: doesn't like spellcasting or destroying his items
Jehora Jeheyu: never actually deducts piety (just randomly gets bored and starts messing with you)
Mystera: doesn't like killing spellcaster enemies
Tikki Tooki: dislikes taking multiple hits from the same monster, and using death protection

Then we have the big guy in the sky and the big guy down below...

Dracul: dislikes killing undead, casting CYDSTEPP, casting HALPMEH, and drinking healing potions
Glowing Guardian: dislikes picking up gold, killing higher-level monsters, drinking health potions, drinking mana potions, using poison, using lifesteal, activating the BLUDTUPOWA glyph.

For beginners, just avoid GG and Dracul unless you're looking to experiment a little. Only worship Tikki Tooki when you're a high-level character. Mystera, Taurog, Binlor, Earthmther, and Jehora Jeheyu should all be fine since they're basically spelled out for you. Jehora Jeheyu is a little less straightforward, but once you've attained "petition" you're home clear.
Darvin

Postby Joist on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Dracul is really only useful as a second god, it's really pretty painful to try to use him by himself. GG is still ridiculous, the only way I know how to use him is to get in and get out quick.

TT is a lategame god, if I plan on taking him I generally don't until level 6-7.

Binlor would have my vote as the default one for new players because of his straightforward belief system and low prep cost.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons