[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Postby Joist on Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 am

Alchemist scroll rogue works well.

Or Tri-sword human thief with +1 glyph which nearly guarantees APHEELSIK and dump your piety into resistances.
Joist

Postby Joist on Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 am

I kind of don't want to mention this because I know it'll get nerfed but for the thief the +1 glyph prep acts as a +2 glyph prep. It bumps up the default glyphs from 5 to 6 and then the thiefs +33% ability gets to add 2 glyphs instead of one.

For a human thief this prep is about half as good as HP->Att but you don't lose a HP booster and you get the extra chance of your favourite glyphs spawning.

With the extra glyph, keeping 1 glyph to use you get 7 * 80 CP vs 5 * 100 CP or +60 CP, a fair way to +10% attack which you are giving up for the prep.

If you want to keep more glyphs then the prep is better. It starts at 600 vs 640 for 0 glyphs kept and each glyph you keep gets you an extra +20 CP.

If you are looking for a specific glyph it has an 8/13 or 60% chance of spawning which ain't bad.
Joist

Postby Blovski on Tue May 08, 2012 5:15 pm

^

Just used that to grab a third win (Troll Heart, Binlor->Dracul on the surface, mass buying stuff then TT->Dracul for the bosses) - gorgontime : ) cautionary points for posterity:

1) Do not trust the +% damage from anything at all ever. The number of enemies I thought I'd kill with Stone Fist was much much higher than the number I did kill.
2) The pactmaker piety sinks are not great options on this level. +max health is nice, but it will kill your piety gain and boons, +% resistance is also nice, but you really want to avoid getting hit with the enemy loadout, +xp is obviously a little silly
3) Tikki Tooki punishments got me twice... watch out for them
4) Desecrating altars provides diminishing piety returns.

Somewhat disappointed that the Gorgon's conversion points are *completely* pointless against bosses - I mean, there's no other race which has their cp advantage completely negated for the bosses. Otherwise very fun. Still, managed a purist havendale bridge run with every last tiniest resource used up (Mystera->Taurog->Binlor->Taurog is a strange conversion pattern).

Also, as a budding half-dragon user, has anyone beaten the matron with one - I haven't given it a shot yet but it looks very rough - 50% MR, no walls, no other enemies. I guess piercing wand/fireball/Dracul or something if you can make up the attack somewhere.
Blovski

Postby gjaustin on Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm

gjaustin

Postby Joist on Tue May 08, 2012 5:45 pm

gjaustin is technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Death gaze for the playable Gorgon is nerfed from the mob Gorgon's version. Whenever you attack a mob whose health is below the death gaze threshold you will do a "quick attack" which is guaranteed to go first in addition to your regular attack.

enemy effective health = enemy health * (1 - death gaze threshold/2)
Joist

Postby gjaustin on Tue May 08, 2012 6:05 pm

gjaustin

Postby Malow on Tue May 08, 2012 6:59 pm

I keep reading about that first rule of Whupaz. If nobody tells it, how can I learn about it! :(
Malow

Postby Joist on Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 pm

@ gjaustin

Do you mean attack bonus? Why would that make a difference, I thought the death gaze extra attack was a complete attack not just base attack.

@ malow

Unlock it. Witch level 3. It's very self explanatory how to use it.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 pm

The first rule of WHUPAZ is to never, ever publicly state what it does.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 pm

So do the quest. Heck it's not even on the wiki!

No, death gaze hits are base only I'm pretty sure.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons