Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Strategy Thread for talking about Strategies

Postby The Avatar on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Cracked Soul Orb?

All you have to do is buy out the shops.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Leotamer on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:36 pm

I was having a lot of lag.
Leotamer

Postby Lujo on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Cracked Soul Orb?

(25 characters, I has them)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:12 pm

I've been going through the Unlikely Heroes lot lately, and the Gnome Berserker on Hexx Ruins stuck out as an interesting little jobby.

So, what I figured out, TT + Strength Potion + Trisword (the rest is fluff, Quest Item Preps, Smugglers etc etc all good on Hexx... slayer wand DOES now spawn revenants, but there are still a ton of goos so it's not a bad idea to prep it). TT taken first gives you the essential Getindare glyph, which you want to use with Str Potion to nab a level 3 as your first kill. Once you've done that the Tikki/Map/Trisword will do the rest. I'd probably say go for 2xEdge + Reflex potions rather than the more usual poison, since you want to kill *everything* on the field before the boss fight, if possible. Liberally use your gnome mana potions to feed the trisword (with tikki's boons, you should have no trouble fielding the cost, and getindare gives you something useful to spend the mana on), getting some slowing powers is great but non-essential (converting out of Tikki to EM in late-game may be an especially good option, since that'll let you stomp all the medusas). Essentially the gnome berserker with a trisword is a wussy orc, but slightly more flexible and on this map you'll probably want a little extra mana every level or so.

Anyway, I completely cleared the map, gorgons, blobs (2 level 9 blobs, no less), meat men, goblins and all, taking out the first boss (firstborn, lucky me) at level 7. Stheno took 2 hits and a first strike.

More a good synergy/prep combination than a strategy. Even with a lot of tikki fumbling, bad monster loadout and revenant mismanagement, it's a very strong approach to Hexx.
Blovski

Postby Leotamer on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Any tips on Mamga mines? Even if I don't get the preist run, am going to see how many of the classes I can get knocked out for getting the battlemage ring. I done completed one using Elven Paladin, my only prep was Elven boots, and with a little luck, I got GG and Pactmaker. Anyone got a real plan with another class? I don't feel like testing my luck again.
Leotamer

Postby Darvin on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

If you've got the Martyr Wraps and/or the Crystal Ball (or both), a fireball-based strategy is actually very effective on magma mines. Amulet of Yendor or Goblin on a Fighter or Assassin also works great here, since the biggest difficulty is getting through the reams of tough monsters; if you can reach a higher level the bosses themselves aren't actually so tough and can easily be pummeled by a mid-battle level-up.

Also, some food for thought on Hexx Ruins: Dracul will absolutely ravage your piety count for killing revenants, but the those revenants aren't bloodless, which means a lot of extra blood pools.
Last edited by Darvin on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Haven't played that one in a while... can't remember having much trouble with it. An Orc Rogue with GG (for Absolution + Cleansing) or Taurog (for death protections and the sword) can flatten it because the bosses have very little health. Bloodmage is another easyish option, since you can magic one to death and use health pools for the other.

Edit: Just tried an orc rogue of taurog near-purist (taurog + str potion prepped) run (went for warmonger when I saw JJ to convert into, needed two more hits on the foreman, got distracted by troll subdungeon when burn salve would've given me one or two and JJ screwed over a last chance on 80 piety AS USUAL). GG is definitely easier for this one, I think. Also, Socco Trolls subdungeon. I killed one of them by accident... never done that before...
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 am

Wow... You killed it?

Priest Magma Mines is a job for GG. Convert all potions into piety and Mana (as an elf) and use a mid-fight to kill the phys res boss. You priest hp should make it easy to survive the one hit from the magic guy. Just use protections to abuse the last guy. Also, you're allowed to use the witch's brews.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Leotamer on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:04 am

I figured GG was really good, because losing peity from him is litterally stopping you from upgrading. I been trying Dwarf Preist of GG, but lack of money and the final boss been giving me trouble.

Edit- I all most derped and lost( No that is not intent as a pun), lucky Consenus is broken when compared with GG, it saved my life
Leotamer

Postby The Avatar on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Good job, that's one of the hardest quests in the game.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons