[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - a few draconic features

a few draconic features

All things Desktop Dungeons

a few draconic features

Postby Madness on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:37 am

There are some details that work counterintuitively in the game, like burning for instance, or the Warlord exception to the res spell. So, since I'm as OCD as they come, and I loved how games like Magic (the gathering) streamlined their rules, I feel like suggesting further clarifications.

Burning:
It's kinda weird how it works, after MANY games I've learned that it's sometimes beneficial to attack a popcorn monster just to make the burning damage "trigger". Is this intended in the design of the effect? Because it's hard to figure out straight away. Possible fixes would be to make Burned AFTER increasing the stacks and not applying it on attacks that remove the debuff. The damage stays mostly the same, and you don't accidentally kill someone because he had stacks on him while you attack something else.

CYDSTEPP - Warlord vs APHEELSIK - Assassin:
2 spell that alter their mechanics according to the class, one is a spell with an exception, the other uses a class buff to improve its effect. Then we have also stuff like Mystera's boon that alters spell costs, and the wizard's traits doing just the same. Bottom line, it would make sense for CYDSTEPP not to mention the Warlord exception, and instead give the warlord a class trait that lifted the fill hp limitation.

I'll post more antipatterns when I figure out them.

P.S.:

Damage prediction:
On one hand, it's an amazing feature, that really helps newcomers, on the other hand, it sometimes fails to accurately predict the result, plus, it allows you to suicide without any kind of confirmation request (heck, desacrating an altar seems risking, but attacking someone that will cause you to SURELY die is not?), I'd put some work into that to make it more reliable in predicting the outcome of the fight. I don't mean for it to include any effect, but of all the effects that are already presented, it should be more effective in presenting which's which.

Might:
The might effect is usually accompanied by a bonus to the attack damage, which is consistent, yet the bonus damage itself tends to variate, which isn't as consistent.

Crusader's MOMENTUM:
No buff icon is displayed unless the buff is active.

Crusader's SCARRED:
The description doesn't make it clear that the Crusader becomes immune for the rest of the game to the first kind of affliction he gets hit by, instead it looks like he gets a free cleansing after being hit with any affliction for the first time in a game only, and then the effect goes away. The term affliction itself is ambiguous.

Monster portraits:
It would be immensely useful if we could "lock" them and hover the buff icons, specially for noobies.
Last edited by Madness on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Madness

Re: a few draconic features

Postby Joist on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:55 am

The spells don't alter their mechanics based on the class. One of their class advantages is an alteration to the spells.

You wouldn't say that spells are confusing because their spell cost is inconsistent between classes/gods/items would you?

Totally with you on the death though. So many misclicks.
Joist

Postby Madness on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:00 am

Madness

Postby Joist on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 am

That's weird, it says it on the warlord and on the glyph but not on the warlord in game. If you mouseover the warlord in the character selection screen it says cydstepp is "always castable" but he doesn't get a buff in game that says it.

Ya, take it off the glyph and give the warlord a little buff icon that says "CYDTEPP always castable"
Joist

Postby Madness on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 am

Madness

Postby Bloggorus on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Drastically need damage prediction for fireball reflection.

The amount of times i've spammed fireball with a big old 'SAFE' telling me things will be okay...
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 am

They do. It says death. Well, at least when I tried it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Return to Desktop Dungeons