Help For A Noob Goblin Assassin In Shifting Passages?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Help For A Noob Goblin Assassin In Shifting Passages?

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:36 am

Darvin wrote:If you hadn't used IMAWAL then Tikki Tooki would have been marvellous. With Tikki's Edge and the goblin racial bonus hitting level 10 would be child's play and clearing the hallways trivial. I strongly advise against using IMAWAL on shifting passages unless you have ENDISWAL or knockback.

Otherwise GG and Taurog are pretty much the worst deities an Assassin can possibly pull. Your best option would have been to worship Taurog at the last minute after expending your potions, then use your starting piety to convert to GG and use the remaining piety on protections.

Thanks for the tips, and yeah I didn't go TT only because of IMAWAL. It's funny that every IMAWALL definitely closes of a passage that is going to be formed. Man that was a pain during my Gorgon runs. I trapped myself a few times with no mana or pots.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 am

Okay, after aborting my Mystera super-run, I got a run that was just begging for me to use ENDISWAL.

I found the ENDISWAL early in dungeon exploration, but I held off. Then I discovered the Binlor and Pactmaker's altars sitting side-by-side, as if fate itself was tempting me. The sole remaining altar was Earthmother, so it was that or nothing, but I held strong! I ended up winning Parched and Faithless, though I don't feel faithless really counted because I used sparkles to fuel a single use of the scholar's pact. Second boss was Iron Man, so I used no poison in fighting the bosses. I'm doing the writeup right now, should have it up in 15-20 minutes.
Darvin

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:23 am

You and I, we seem to have very different playstyles. It's interesting. Anyway I did use IMAWAL heavily, found ENDISWAL lategame so felt confident taking TT. Killed Evolvia using poison and kill the Iron Man using well timed level ups and a couple of reflexes convert potions.

Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 am

Annotated Playthrough is up

And yes, I'm aware I really need to play this dungeon more often as more classes ;-)
Darvin

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:05 am

I like how "sparkles" has entered the DD vernacular.

The pendant of health is an amazing item for a purist assassin aye, I used it in my last run. I completely forgot that I should have been taking schaden pots in, I was taking quicksilvers instead.

Nice playthrough. I never get zombie money, that subdungeon is top tier grade A subdungeon material. I kept getting the Lost Sorc
Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:08 am

I intentionally didn't over-explore zombie money. I only used about the amount of exploration space that a 5x5 like lost sorc would give me. If I'd really pushed it, I could have done some poison work to wear down Evolvia, probably even catapulted using the level 9 zombies.
Darvin

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:13 am

I think you probably could have taken Evolvia out using the dark tiles in there alone. That's why I always do Evolvia first, just make sure you save an attack for his undead form and if you need to fireball him out of it then mana potion and regen 1 tile to get back to 7 mana.

In both my runs that's all I needed my potions for.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:19 am

Yeah, but I had every intention of going for "parched" if I could :twisted:
Darvin

Postby Joist on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 am

On the "playing with different characters" thing, I just play the burning level with a class I haven't used yet. Usually it's just my new favourite. Atm it's the thief who is *amazing* after the gold nerf. If you can get WEYTWUT or GETINDARE he's basically a free win on any level but the hardest hards.
Joist

Postby Nateon on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Joist wrote:I followed this guide the first time I beat it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1841&start=8

It should still work now.

I don't have much experience with goblins personally, I usually go with elf as a fireball assasin. Elf + MA to reduce casting costs then try to hit 15 mana and get the fireball fireball poison combo going.

Wouldn't the 15% magic resistance on monsters be problematic with the smallness of the map?
Nateon

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons