[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - One for the beginners

One for the beginners

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: One for the beginners

Postby Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 3:29 am

Naga city maybe? I'd love to try doing my little resistance dance and get 45/60 PhysR/MagR + endiswal.

I might get some time this arvo to try it.

edit: Wait, no gods :(

Interesting.
Joist

Postby Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 5:35 am

I've figured out what the devs have done in the Thief Silver. They've inverted the mob placement algorithm so that the low level mobs are furthest away and the high level mobs are closest. Also the mob levels are generated backwards (2 level 2s, 3 level 3s, 4-5 level 4s etc). This is a little annoying.

Maze level + un-weytwut'able mobs = this level is literally impossible often. And mostly it's practically impossible.

The level 2s, 3s and 4s (not that I can kill 4s) are clustered around the boss, who we know has a habit of laying at the end of a very long corridor on the edge of the level. Then a magic immune chest has clogged the entrance.

Joist

Postby Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 6:20 am

So, as usual, right after I finish complaining about the challenge I manage to beat it. Also as usual I just want to point out that just because I beat it that doesn't make it balanced.

Strategy

Head towards where you estimate the furthest part of the level is. Don't go diagonally though, skirt the edges of the level. If you find a long corridor that's like 3-4 blocks away from the edge of the level then you know where to head.

You need to get damage up to 6 and health up to 11 (IIRC) before you can fight a level 2. Then attack, health pot, mana pot, attack, weytwut, attack. Now you're level 2.

To fight level 3s you need to get 12/26 damage/health or 13/24 either will let you go attack, regen a few tiles, attack, weytwut, attack.

From then on you should be able to do the attack, regen, attack, weytwut, attack dance. Throwing in ENDISWALs at higher levels.

I instaconverted the GETINDARE glyph but kept all the others. Use ENDISWALL on thick edges to get access to dark tiles you wouldn't have been able to while you are charging your resist. Use IMAWAL on level 9s. Save one if you want but you probably won't kill any of them. Before the boss I converted all of my glyphs except BURNDAYRAZ. Then I just attacked when I had health and cast BURNDAYRAZ when I had mana, I got a level up to 8 during the fight too.

Balanced dagger looks interesting.

Joist

Postby Darvin on Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 am

Darvin

Postby Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 am

[quote=Darvin]Should be doable with only one potion if you tactically reveal tiles to maximize your regeneration.[/quote]

It's iffy, it depends on how many attack boosters you have to get damage off the Thief's class ability. You don't want to be spending a bunch of dark tiles searching for power-ups either so I just take the mana potion hit.

The dagger is interesting. 2 gold isn't that much unless you are going tri-sword or apoths or alch scroll. It's a trade off between 2 gold or the extra resources required to take down a mob 1 level higher, since 1 level higher gives the same bonus xp as the dagger.

Locker worthy? Probably not, but that's just because it's not super broken :D I'm trying to find it in the shops to see how much it costs. It's 15g and 25CP. Not sure if it's worth it. Maybe if it was like 10 gold.
Last edited by Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joist

Postby Fran on Sat May 05, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm really glad that the new vampire fits the concept I always had in my head :)

But, uhm, is there no one beside me who is actually sad that the devs technically said that there won't be any challenges for the monster and guild classes? :(
Fran

Postby Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm loving the new Vamp, I never figured out how to play the old one right.

The only thing is, since DR and lifesteal is flat and doesn't scale any class based on those mechanics will shred normal dungeons or be pathetically worthless in vicious. Atm the new vamp destroys even most of the Hard dungeons.

It's sooooooooo much fun playing him though. My favourite thing is how you can keep tank mobs alive (meat men and zombies) and use them to regen health. Just get enough lifesteal/DR and then you can attack them to boost health, then regen dark tiles but instead of regen'ing your own health it regens the mobs health so you can steal it back. It's like the Vampire keeps his health externally. Also with boss battles you can never really dip below like 80% of your health otherwise your lifesteal won't catch you.

edit: I just got the perfect level of stuff for the Vamp. Stone Sigil in a shop + Pactmaker for Spirit pact, Vamp Blade and the 40g subdungeon. Bought all I could, converted all my potions even, I hit 10 lifesteal (but I only did 63 damage so it was way overkill).
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Lifesteal does scale? What do you mean it doesn't? Theif gold looks brutal. Have to scum for my level 1 cheats and enough bonuses to do 7 damage.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Sat May 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Oh, I meant it doens't scale with enemy damage. So at level 5 say you might have 3 lifesteal and 10 DR. In a Vicious it'll hardly get by but in a Normal it will be destruction. Resists scale with the enemy instead of with the player.

Yeah, I got to like level 6 in Thief Gold and just gave up. I agree though, best to scum for an early level 1 chest and an attack booster so you can get to level 2 without any setbacks.

Chest 1: Getindare

Chest 3: Burn Salve

Chest 5: Burn Salve

Chest 9: Burndayraz
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Actually, two attack boosters. You get double round down problems, so your 30% gives you +1 damage. No more, no less.

EDIT: Just beat down Sillyname. Actually, all you really need to do is reach level 7, use 2 ENDISWALLs, hit him, potions and 2 more ENDISWALLs, hit him again, GETINDARE, kill. As long as you get 2 attack boosters and GETINDARE at level one you should be fine.

[spoilers]
Treasure Chests
Level: Item (Usefulness rating)
1: GETINDARE (Essential)
2: Burn Salve (Essential)
3: IMAWALL (Very useful)
4: Fortitude Tonic (Essential)
5: ENDISWALL (Essential)
6: Burn Salve (Usually essential)
7: Pendant of Health (Useful)
8: Fortitude Tonic (Usually essential)
9: BURNDAYRAZ (Conversion Fodder)
Last edited by The Avatar on Sun May 06, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons