[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Puzzling and half-hearted

Puzzling and half-hearted

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Puzzling and half-hearted

Postby TigerKnee on Sat May 19, 2012 11:48 am

Stuck at both Halfling and Gnome 3 but I'm not particularly at full mental capacity at this point of them. I guess I can read the solution but I want to try to puzzle them out.

Those new players are going to take a beating with these two items being gated behind those puzzles though, unless they look up a walkthrough.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 19, 2012 11:56 am

I guess that means they should make them easier?

I really didn't have trouble with Gnome 3, but I see why your stuck on halfling.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Sat May 19, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm only seeing the conversion, translocation and compression seals - i.e. the wrong one isn't there? Anyone else having this.
Blovski

Postby TigerKnee on Sat May 19, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm kind of thinking the puzzles need hints if you constantly fail them enough, like most modern adventure games do nowadays

I know they're meant to make you think about using X in different ways, and then you bring over your knowledge to the real game, but it's the expert players who already know these tricks who are solving them, not new players who basically get "here's the situation, now solve" and not much else.
TigerKnee

Postby gjaustin on Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 pm

The new Transmutation Scroll works really, really well with the sword preparation from the Blacksmith.

You effectively get 25 gold and 35 conversion points.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Sat May 19, 2012 7:04 pm

After playing around a bit, I'm pretty sure new crusader needs to either be Goblin with a Trisword prep or Orc with a Yendor prep. For most conventional tactics, you'll almost never exceed 100% momentum anyways and you're just taking needless penalties on level-up. Furthermore, unless the boss is a high-damage opponent like Aequitas and Bleaty you really gain nothing over an old Crusader, who could just recharge his momentum between attacks. The momentum loss is particularly annoying for low-level Crusaders who are leveling up every second kill, which necessitates some easy way to quickly get out of the low-level range without killing too many monsters and wasting the momentum bonus. Since he can no longer combo momentum with a level-up catapult, it comes out to be a net wash unless you have a very well-developed game-plan.

Overall I don't like this change for the Crusader. The class was always passable on normal and some hard levels, but fizzled out on the more challenging hard levels and vicious levels. This really does nothing to help him where he needed the help most: scenarios where he does not have huge scores of popcorn available in the end-game. Given that he can't synergize momentum with level-ups anymore, this is actually a net-nerf in many situations, and as arguably the weakest class on the roster he needed an unabiguous buff.
Darvin

Postby Joist on Sun May 20, 2012 1:43 am

I've been itching to start a new profile, how stable is the game atm regarding a new account? I remember there were a bunch of bugs last week, worth trying now?
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 20, 2012 3:23 am

I did it, so you can too.

@Darvin: Totally agreed. ATM, Crusader is still the worst class by far, so I vote just an obvious simple buff. Like reverting him and doubling his momentum cap. Or adding base attack to momentum, so you don't always use Orc.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun May 20, 2012 4:31 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 20, 2012 11:58 am

Wow. Nice analysis. I'd never thought of it that way, but that makes total sense.

Have you played a transmuter recently? They're actually good. A human transmuter with a tri-sword will rock the world of a bunch of dungeons.

Also, the new rock heart is INCREDIBLE. If you use Binlor, taking a level of stone skin now heals you, provides mana, and gives 60% resists.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons