Glowing Guardian Retailation

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Glowing Guardian Retailation

Postby The Avatar on Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Hmm.. Maybe we just need an entirely new punishment.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Sythion on Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Darvin wrote:The point is not necessarily specific strategies, but rather the general problem that GG's punishment can very easily be ignored if your inventory is devoid of anything irreplaceable.

I don't understand this? Do you not ever play with BURNDAYRAZ or something? In almost every build (WL, Berserker, Paladin being the exception) getting this early is absolutely mandatory to my play style, and is completely irreplaceable. Not to mention your locker item...

So the only time I can see this easily being ignored is as a last ditch effort when you've expended everything else, or if you're running a simple purist dungeon in which case you hardly need to worship a god to begin with, so who cares?
Sythion

Postby fall_ark on Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 pm

That would still be a viable playstyle so long if it isn't entirely broken. -- You'll leave stuff on the ground and suffer for the setup part of the play. Why not reward that kind of sacrifice.
fall_ark

Postby Darvin on Tue May 22, 2012 11:45 pm

I don't understand this? Do you not ever play with BURNDAYRAZ or something? In almost every build (WL, Berserker, Paladin being the exception) getting this early is absolutely mandatory to my play style, and is completely irreplaceable. Not to mention your locker item...

Yes, the current GG's desecration penalty is a disqualifier for the vast majority of classes as he exists right now. What I'm saying is that by loosening things up and creating exemptions you create openings for characters to ignore the restrictions outright. If GG ignores locker items, then a character who hasn't found any glyphs he's particularly attached to can just desecrate him and lose only his two starter potions.

The GG is really of two extremes; either he will take away something invaluable or irreplaceable and you can't touch him, or you just convert everything prior to desecration and he does nothing. The question is whether you have anything irreplaceable in your inventory, which is a dice roll that makes him vary from catastrophically punishing to not punishing at all. That huge variance is the problem.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 am

That's why I'm for a new less drastic punishment.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Joist on Wed May 23, 2012 4:55 am

Sythion wrote:
Darvin wrote:The point is not necessarily specific strategies, but rather the general problem that GG's punishment can very easily be ignored if your inventory is devoid of anything irreplaceable.

I don't understand this? Do you not ever play with BURNDAYRAZ or something? In almost every build (WL, Berserker, Paladin being the exception) getting this early is absolutely mandatory to my play style, and is completely irreplaceable.

GETINDARE, WEYTWUT, APHEELSIK, CYDSTEPP, HALPMEH and even ENDISWAL can all fill the void of BURNDAYRAZ to get the leg up you need to kill 1 level higher mobs.

Agree on the locker item though. Losing CYDSTEPP as a Warlord, or tri-sword as a monk/gorgon, ENDISWAL as a gorgon BURDAYRAZ as a caster there are tonnes of builds that 100% require a certain item or glyph to work.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 pm

GETINDARE, WEYTWUT, APHEELSIK, CYDSTEPP, HALPMEH and even ENDISWAL can all fill the void of BURNDAYRAZ to get the leg up you need to kill 1 level higher mobs.

PISORF also works like a charm in most situations.
Darvin

Postby Sythion on Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Joist wrote:

I am very sad when I am forced to kill 1 level higher mobs :P
Sythion

Postby Darvin on Wed May 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Depends on your level. Normal, certainly; hard, understandable; vicious, you should be grateful for any bonus XP.

Any in any case, all those glyphs can potentially let you kill much more than 1-level higher. CYDSTEPP and ENDISWAL are particularly nice since you can pre-buff before battle and spend your mana on other things in the middle of the fight.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Agreed. I've gotten a 6 level higher kill in Vicious that can be recreated ATM. Anyone got a better, currently possible, high level kill?

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons