[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Curses, crusades and random nonsense

Curses, crusades and random nonsense

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Curses, crusades and random nonsense

Postby Fran on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Well, playing a melee class against a boss with magic attack I'd rather have the additional resistance from enlightment than a little more restauration, especially when a boss like aequitas would kill me with one hit otherwise.
You're also ignoring the beads clogging up your inventory, the additional mana gained by enlightment and other situational advantages. Everyone used to offer their mana potions at JJ for more mana, this is kind of the same, isn't it?

I also think that GGs boons need some adjustment but I think a calculation of pure restoration power is a bit one dimensional on the topic.
Fran

Postby Nandrew on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Nandrew

Postby Blovski on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:18 pm

I've been finding the problem with GG at the moment as a Paladin (especially in Slime Pit, which I've been trying to do with a Paladin, brrrrr....) is XP and popcorn as much as anything. Tried a goblin GG paladin on an easier dungeon and that was pretty nice. Rogue GG might be a decent Slime Pit run now actually?
Blovski

Postby Blovski on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Bwahahaha my financial crisis is over.

Bit of storytelling rather than strict update discussion....

Orc Rogue GG Slime Pit win. Took in gloves of midas because when I don't know what else to take and because they are a ridiculously good item... GG, transmutation scroll, sword, bet on boss (flaming slime pit has been haunting me for so long), whupaz, quicksilver.

Anyway, a couple of quick level or two ahead kills, absolution to get +15 HP or so, maybe a bit more I guess. Found Cydstepp and hung onto that for a while, got wonafyt so had that around for levels 1-4ish for a little extra XP. Went for humility to drop myself to level 1, took a few biggish catapults for a while and started fighting Goo (Slime Goo is nasty, loads of physical damage) at level 6 with a level up ready. Got wolfalok and fireball, two fireballs meant I could survive an attack, and starting using the cleansing boon to give magic damage. Eeked out 2 hits (resisted one, dodged the other with quicksilver, levelled, repeated, some *very* tight inv. management went on to give me space for cleansings, even converted wolfalok after I'd got a second free hit off. 1 cydstepp, another cleansing and boom. Cleaned up most of the rest, whupazed meaty (think I wasted some regen on cleaning popcorn while I was fighting him), got viper ward and lemissi, regen fought him down quite a long way. Had desecrated binlor so used up three healing potions. Must've levelled again at some point. Converted cydstepp as well. Used a protection, I think, and did some unnerving regen fighting with lemmisi in that temple of doom subdungeon.

Anyways, got him down to fourish hits left, had 4 manas left (and maybe 1 healing, but I don't remember). Needed 20 XP to level up, one level 7 and a level 9 medusa were the only things around. Was on around 80 piety. Then I realised I had 13 prayer beads and 76 piety. So, everything must go potion conversions... (I'd been reading this and thought it was 10, apparently 5 at the moment, that was close). Got to 96 piety, then because I'd brought in Midas I could buy up two items to hit 100 *exactly*. Took out the 7 with a dodge, so I got a bonus hit on Meaty. And Enlightenment. level up, so 2 more fireballs, another hit, protection from the level up piety, another hit and first strike.

I don't think I'd have got enough from protections or potions to actually make it.

----

Anyways, being relevant again, new GG can work beautifully for a rogue as a full game god. The magic attack side effect of cleansing is a big situational plus and leveraging enlightenment like that felt awesome. Managed to get off a load of boons and enlightenment, even prepped. Inventory management got a bit chary, which is only fair . A higher potion piety gain thing (say, 10) wouldn't be bad (would allow for some pretty cool early game things for anyone going for parched).
Blovski

Postby Fran on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 pm

I think GG would be fine if enlightment worked also for all prayer beads that come afterwards and potions gave 10 piety. It's alot easier to manage your piety this way as enlightment is - as darwin said - better the sooner you get it.
The real disadvantage is that you have to pay alot of piety before enlightment to make it useful which makes it difficult in the first place to consider wether you'll get enough piety for enlightment afterwards to justify your expenses.
You have to pay the same amount of piety (especially the same huge amount to make it worthwile) and the same amount of inventory space this way, but you can use the boon whenever you feel like it helps the most.
Fran

Postby Darvin on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:43 am

Nandrew

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am

I don't really know. It works well, but it breaks theme.

If you don't want people to convert out of GG so much, make all the prayer bead effects (including the magic res) only exist while you're worshipping GG.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Nandrew

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Voodoo would make sense for Tiki (just look at his picture).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons