[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Curses, crusades and random nonsense

Curses, crusades and random nonsense

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Curses, crusades and random nonsense

Postby Blovski on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Eh, problem with EM at the moment is that she has no real late-game pay-off but is an increasing pain to use in the late-game. It's almost always easier to get down to 50 piety, drop an entanglement and drop out to someone who has decent late-game boons than have to deal with plants sprouting everywhere around the boss, the risk of getting locked out of more piety game and increasing clearance costs. She's currently not usable on plant-heavy levels (especially that one with the druid boss), even for Paladins, really, and a huge pain on maze levels or blinking-boss/lifesteal levels.

As long as she becomes less useful and more awkward as the game goes on I'll keep converting out. I think mana on clearance would fix that for a few characters (sorcerors in particular) but not really solve the general problem. You really need either some sort of late-game pay-off that uses her disadvantages (possibly based on number of visible plants) or to make clearing out the plants a lot easier.

---

Incidentally, new Taurog % damage increases are a nice incentive for non-Berserker non-casters to use him. Slayer wand is much better than the monster whistle. Think it wouldn't be bad making it small. New TT prep cost is a fantastic deal (as in, irrelevant to) for assassins but a big problem for everyone else - it completely screws up wonafyt if you get it, makes popcorn collecting, hence leveraging TT's XP gain bonus, very rough and hits your piety. It could maybe be used by vamps to double-up their bloodbanks... would be a hilarious synergy. Anyway, I think something that lowers XP gain or increases the XP gain you need for a level-up might be a better drawback for the TT altar. That way it affects assassins too but doesn't completely stop other classes using it, and it also encourages you to actually get using the altar early to make up for your XP loss rather than what I'd currently do, which is find a quicker piety-gainer to convert in from, knock out the protections then swap in.

(I think keeping the GG magic res % is fine - don't think it would figure too heavily in a decision to swap out at the end but it would really make me very chary about going in for a bit... which isn't really the problem with GG, I think)
Blovski

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Nandrew

Postby Fran on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Fran

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:41 am

Nandrew

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:22 am

Something like a 10 exp bonus would be great late game too. Worship for a mid-fight level up, clear up popcorn for another mid-fight level up, and convert into Drac for Bloodswells.

An early game Tikki is right now just about Paladins only. Although with a desecration and a few gold pick ups you can have poison at level 1.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Darvin

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Okay, new TT idea, mebbe: how about your on-worship grants you a copy of the First Strike glyph?

Not only is it preventative of crappy second-hit-from-enemy situations, but it's also reasonably effective at farming up delicious piety dodges. For reasons I can't quite remember, I recently threw a monk at Tikki Tooki armed with nothing but this glyph. Never switched religions, rather furiously emphasised dodging, and actually managed to keep my head above the water long enough to defeat Count Blahblah. This was on a new profile, so I actually didn't have that many other unlocks (only prep was the Slayer Wand, I was dirt poor).

Dunno if this idea would make Pallys go absolutely ballistic: their Heal glyph is a strong contender for mana spending, especially if there's a lot of poison around.

I see why the Eastern Tundra is still a bit much for Monks, btw. That Blink effect get really awkward when you depend on lots of unexplored space in a boss fight.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 pm

I always wondered why TT doesn't spawn a first strike glyph. Seemed so logical, really. Oh, and Monk + Dodge is silly ;)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons