[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Is the thief silver challenge a bit too hard?

Is the thief silver challenge a bit too hard?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Is the thief silver challenge a bit too hard?

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:39 pm

I like the thief quest storyline, as well as gameplay - I've mentioned some time before that I think what you guys have here is not a game but an engine, and the storyline in question showcases it quite well. It spells a bright future for you, and if you ever need dedicated playtasters once you're a big corporation, well, you know where to find a bunch :D

And yeah, I see where you're coming from with 18 levels to script, write and test - heck of a lot of work.

Concerning the level - I see your point, and the solution isn't (IMO) in putting more low lvl guys around the map - the fact that there are few and that they are clustered colsely togather is what makes it doable. What makes it undoable in any sane way is the fact that killing the lvl2 (and 3) takes randomly spawned boosters which are hard to locate. If stuff you found in the chests above lvl1 (and sometimes I didn't find the GETINDARE one at all) was more relevant the level would be much more consistently doable.

Especialy since finding the powerups and finding the low lvl enemies consists of doing two different things - you can aim for the low level guards by spamming LEMISI and working from the first guy you hit, but there is no reliable way to find enough powerups to kill the fukker.

My see-how-it-works solution would be to put a couple more low lvl chests with either att powerups, health powerups, conversion scroll / stones or whathave you, and put them close to the entrance (but not too close). That way you can link the tasks of finding something to kill and beefing up to kill it in a sensible time. If there were more usefull low level chests around the lvl9 which a player can port, a player could find them while porting out from the zone he ported into for the low level guards. It would also make a player work for the necessary powerups instead of pray (and give you a teency bit of something to do with resources that you're wasting anyway).

Any good?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:02 pm

A trail of cheats leading to a level 2.., COOL!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 am

Some formation of low level chests, yes, as long as finding them is intuitive the way finding the low level guys is (if they indeed are on the outher side of the map, rather close to each other). Usefull low level chests, mind you, with stuff like attack powerups, or spoons, or something. Hmm, having spoons in there would be awesome - you get to steal silverware AND kill guys with a spoon!
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:57 am

Heh, the spoon idea fits in a pretty rad way, actually.

And for people curious about what inspired DD's spoons in the first place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 am

And there I was thinking it was Alan Rickman's line from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves about cutting a guys heart out with a spoon, and the subsequent explanation thereof :)
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 am

Ok, more assorted thoughts about class challenges:

Thief silver:

already covered, but adding an intuitive way to acquire a spoon AND something to boost either HP or damage resistance (a small shield or something) to help fight the low level mobs and remove the reliance on lucky GETINDARE dodges seems a must.

I do love the storyline and the approach. I love the chests and I'm wondering if they could be used in VICIOUS dungeons to justify unfair dungeon layout - as checkpoints and smaller objectives within a dungeon. Having a chest that contains the mana burn resistance item somewhere in Gaan'Telet would help a great deal with balancing that place, for example.

Berserker Bronze:

What was that? Seemed to me like a regular level well suited for the berserker. Not sure what the challenge was supposed to be, but I like the "Raaawr!" flavour. Maybe it's one of the "placeholder" bulk dungeons in the pack...

Fighter Bronze:

Liked it, although I'm not sure most people would find it easy. It takes a meticulous approach or I was overthinking it, can't tell...

Priest Bronze:

Ahahahahha! Doom! And the Zombie Dog! :) Not difficult at all but deffinitely fun!

Wizard Bronze:

Straightfoward and charming, liked it. Not much to say, flavor's ok.

Wizard Silver:

Liked it a lot - makes you think, yet it's cake compared to old blinking Blahblah shennanigans. i like that you can get some use out of WONNAFYT. I can't really gauge the difficulty here, as it's an approach thing. Someone who figures it out on an intuitive level will breeze through it, someone who gets frustrated by the blinking crap will have a hard time.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Even without slow, Medusa will still be easy between DP and potions.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Sorcer bronze:

Straightforward old Bloo Goo Blues unless I'm much mistaken. Fun little romp, can't complain. Can't think of what it looks like to a newbie/casual either.

Sorcerer Silver:

Not done yet, but LOL, I clicked on a dancing blade thinking it was a sword and got my ass handed to me ^^ Curse you placeholder art! :D Will see about it later maybe.
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:34 pm

There was an idea to horizontally flip the dancing sword graphic, but I like the ambiguity for now, kinda like a little mimic. :P

Berserker was built as mainly style over substance. It plays to his strengths, which is acceptable for bronze, and it hopefully gives the player a little chuckle / sense of power.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons