[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Glyph Round Up: The Current State of Magic in the Game

Glyph Round Up: The Current State of Magic in the Game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Glyph Round Up: The Current State of Magic in the Game

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:45 pm

I mostly agree with the feelings in the thread as well.

Especially the fact that you found LEMISI so pointless that you left it off the list. It's basically just a crappy HALPMEH.
gjaustin

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I don't think wonafyt as it stands is overshadowed, though. It's a short, intense and rewarding early-game glyph which provides high output for decent mana and almost no exploration. The fact that I get a lot of uses out of it extremely quickly before I just convert and make room for other stuff is awesome. I'm actually slightly more thrilled to find this near my dungeon entrance than even WEYTWUT because of how *thorough* it can be.

As for IMAWAL ... we're trying a change tomorrow to make it work WITH the other XP glyphs instead of AGAINST them, so here's hoping. ;)
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:54 pm

@Nandrew: - agreed on WONNAFYT, it is thorough, and you get mileage out of it. Nobody seems to mention that it pulls critters from ewerywhere - you don't have to see them, yadda, yadda, and in that regard it's a lot better than WONNAFYT. I was just trying to point out that there is, in my opinion, overlap between glyphs which don't really need overlap. With all the uses WHEYTWUT has, and the nicheness of WONNAFYT and IMAWAL, it sort of takes away from the distinctness ot those two. Bleh, bleh, already said all this, I'm sure it'll come up later on it's own sometimes.

EDIT: I've just noticed that if you take away the +1 XP from WHETWUT then you run into it's overlap with GETINDARE, which is then poised on GETINDARE having the dodge prediction perk, and WHEYTWUT's only first strike benefit being that it grants first strike against first strikers. Which may not be enough, except it means a lot against first striking status debuffers. Ehhh... Nowhere near as simle as I've thought. :oops:

About lemisi - hmmm, it's not like Halpmeh, and since the dungeons got more cramped, I find I've been using it a lot more. Not sure why people are comlaining about it? It's more about squeezing mana out of otherwise unreachable tiles. It could use buffs on the targeting (i believe they are coming), but what, besides that, is wrong with it?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 pm

For mid-combat healing, LEMMISI works acceptably well in the normal-difficulty dungeons, but as you push forward it becomes more difficult to leverage regen fighting and the mana cost kills it. I don't know what the solution is for LEMMISI, as on most scenarios there isn't nearly enough black-space to merit using it, and just because you've spotted a monster/powerup/shop/altar you're interested in doesn't mean you know how to get it. In most dungeons I'd much rather have ENDISWAL or WEYTWUT for exploration.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Exactly. ENDISWALL is MUCH more helpful. Not even close.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

If LEMISI was guaranteed to reveal, every time:

1 shop or staircase
--AND--
1 altar, powerup, or potion
--AND--
1 unreachable square

I'd probably use it at least a little bit. Maybe even if it was only guaranteed two of them. I'd also use it if all it guaranteed was revealing an altar.
gjaustin

Postby Nandrew on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 pm

LEMMISI will become more intelligent, and we'll take it from there. ;)
Nandrew

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons