[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - I'm too dumb to beat a normal Dungeon?

I'm too dumb to beat a normal Dungeon?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: I'm too dumb to beat a normal Dungeon?

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 pm

They actually just removed an easy dungeon that you could always fall back to for money.

The easy dungeons in the current game aren't really actual dungeons. They're more like hands-on tutorials. They are incredibly easy for experienced people, and incredibly useful to new players.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dustinandrews on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm

dustinandrews

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:39 pm

That's basically what it was. It was a normal dungeon except there were only monsters level 1-7 with a level 8 boss.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby thegabbert on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 am

FWIW, I miss having the easy dungeon around. It was nice to be able to get in, roflstomp on everything, and get my DD fix when I didn't have a lot of time. No stress, no mess, and maybe even make a little money. It was also nice to have when showing the game off to other people to be able to show them a whole dungeon that I could walk them through and they'd be able to get through it without too much difficulty. But that's just me.
thegabbert

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:25 am

Also, it gave you your berserker for free. That also doubled to point players towards the western dungeons which are the easiest.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Hmm. Interesting points... Wish I'd read this earlier when the guys were still around. I don't know if we'd bring back a dungeon, but there's definitely something worth talking about there.
dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:58 am

Coming back to the original topic...

I looked through your Den of Danger run and have some feedback for you.

Frame 3: If you find a WEYTWUT glyph and still have actual exploring to do (ie you need to uncover black space even though you are at full resources), then use it at every opportunity. "Collect" low level monsters for later consumption, and unblock corridors. You aren't wasting mana because you'll just be getting it back anyway.

Frame 6: I probably would have converted LEMMISE, although with the recent changes it might be worth popping off a few shots first. Saving LEMMISE for late game exploration is an advanced tactic mostly used on very challenging maps.

Frame 10: As mentioned earlier, you could have beaten the Goblon-2 by fireballing twice an then attacking.

Frame 12 (Hemmed in): This is where aggressive use of WEYTWUT could have stopped you from being boxed in. Also, if you had killed the Goblin-2, you probably have have regen-fought the Meatman-3, but let's not dwell on that anymore.

Frame 15 (Ding!): You should have double fireballed that Meatman-3 before leveling up. You're going to get that mana back immediately anyway.

Frame 18 (I hear it's a bad idea): WEYTWUT!

Frame 19: Again, you should have used your mana to soften up some other target before leveling up off of that Goblin.

Frame 22 (Another shop item): I would have gone after one of those level-4 monsters by now. Probably the Warlock, because it is blocking progress more.

Frame 23 (I calculate): Naw, you could have taken either of those monsters. Fireball them twice, hit them, and then explore one square. Pick up GETINDERE and seal the deal. I realize that you can't do that now, because you don't have any black space left, but if you had started earlier, this would have worked. I bet you could have won even without GETINDERE, it just would have eaten up more squares (that would have been burned via exploration anyway, so who cares)

Frame 28 (I calculate that): I like to see aggressive play like this, but you're using up way to much popcorn. Personally, I'd just kill the Meatman-5 and level up, but if you want to start on that Wraith right away, I would have killed the Goblin-3 (first strikers make for "spicy" popcorn anyway), explored back to full health, attacked the Wraith, and then picked off some random level-2 to ding. You can also fireball the Wraith 3 times if you explore 3 tiles, which is totally worth it.

Frame 30 (I end up): I'd say the loss of almost all of your soft popcorn hurt about as bad as the potion loss.

Frame 32 (Nope): I bet you could have beaten him with regen fighting. He only has 3 health left. Exploring 5 tiles would leave you at 22+5x6=30 health, which is just barely enough to get in an extra attack. The Goblin would have healed up to 3+5x7= 38. Whack him with your sword to knock him back down to 2, explore one more tile, and then fireball.

That was good clutch use of LEMMISE there, but the extra 10% attack damage from converting it at the beginning would have saved you from a lot of edgewise defeats.

As for your confusion about attack order, here are the rules:
1) First Strike always goes first, no matter what
2) Otherwise, the highest level goes first
3) Ties always go to the monsters

So, with your first striking fighter versus a first striking goblin, you both get top priority (first strike trumps level), and the tie is broken by giving it to the monster.
Sidestepper

Postby thegabbert on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:56 pm

thegabbert

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Agreed. Even if you made it give you a half gold trophy, it'd be cool to have back.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:06 pm

I just posted a very detailed basic playthrough on the wiki, showing how to use the ever confounding Monk. Maybe this more what you were looking for.

http://www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDu ... _Cave_Monk
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons