[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Suggestion: Mystic

Suggestion: Mystic

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion: Mystic

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:40 am

Now the slayer wand has killed 20 or so dragon guards for me, I'm a bit in love with the concept of wands. I would like to suggest adding another building: The Mystic. I know are Kingdoms are a bit full and this would be a huge change, but I think wands are an area much worth expanding. The very concept of wands and rods with one-off charges is awesome in my books. Of course if there is no more room for buildings you could add it on to the alchemist and allow you to prep a wand and a seal.

What do you guys think of a wand shop too?

Please comment and suggest tweaks and ideas.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Suggestion: Mystic

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 am

Alchemist shop is almost empty right now, so putting it with him makes a lot of sense. Given the stage of development right now, I'd say the odds of a new building are pretty much zero.
Last edited by Darvin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 am

I guess a series of more "charged big items" in the form of wands (or... staves I suppose) might be interesting.

One of the big Mystic Wand advantages in the previous version is that it costs 5 gold which was significantly less than every other Blacksmith item, but that isn't the case now and I will say its gold advantage is kind of negligible. So I wouldn't mind seeing it moved out of said building.

I agree with Darvin that a new building probably won't show up, though I believe it's because the devs probably don't want to add more "pure" upgrades (not sure what the proper term is, but if e.g they added a new item to the Blacksmith it would be a "sidegrade" since there's opportunity costs involved)

The Alchemist building is definitely the best candidate as Darvin mentioned.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:30 am

Agreed. Also, one more reason this occurred to me is a wand seemed sort of out of place when next to items like swords, shields, maces, etc.

If they did couple wands into it, I think calling it a mystic would make more sense as I can't imagine having an alchemist make me magical wands.

Also, maybe this is just my obsession with challenges and quests, but what about adding an alchemist/(possibly) mystic quest line? He has a sort of cool/funny opening, so why not add more to the story?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:32 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:22 am

Ha! That's a most amusing idea.

Here's a few more random ideas. Just remember bosses aren't monsters.

Rod of the Goat God: Has 5 charges; Use a charge to turn the monster into a level one goat. Prerequisite: Use piety from being a Lekon Devout to fuel a Pact 5 times.

Wand of Nullification: Removes the first monster trait from a monster. Prerequisite: Kill the boss while poisoned, mana burned, corroded, weakened, and cursed.

Here's an idea: As long as you split the residence between them you could have two separate trees for them. Have cool unlocks for each wand, and make it cost 100 to add them as a prep once you've fulfilled the requirements. That way you get some feeling of progression/you're getting sort of mini quests.

The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:07 am

There's a lotta stuff that we'd like to put in, and quite frankly we built the inventory with the intention of supporting charged wands at some point anyhow (health and mana potions technically have "charges" in this regard right now).

Buuuut ... yeah, no time to be expanding the Kingdom right nownow. And the Slayer Wand needs to stay in the Blacksmith because of its support potential for newbies. Moving it to the alchemist moves it further away from early-game unlocks, which is why it's sitting in the Blacksmith in the first place.
Nandrew

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Will you add in a wand building/put it in the alchemist by the end of the game? Pleeeease!

The Avatar

Postby dustinandrews on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:45 pm

dustinandrews

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons